- Product Manager - United States
- Sales Manager
- Account Manager
- Aweta Sales Director Italy and Spain
- Junior Account Manager - Central Europe
- Post-Harvest Quality Manager - Avocado
- Senior Technical Lead - Beamsville (ON) Canada
- General Manager - Buswa, Uganda
- Head Grower - Jordan (ON) Canada
- KAM DE/AT/IT/BE/NL - Valencia, Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Packaging solution extends shelf-life of cut fruit by up to 4 days
Sirane has been working alongside Italian firm Ilip in creating a complete packaging system – Life+ - which was unveiled at Fruit Logistica in Berlin at the start of the year and has since been shown at a number of fruit trade shows and conferences around Europe.
Karl Heggarty, Sirane sales manager for fresh produce packaging, said: “Life+ offers shelf-life extension by combining various elements into one complete packaging solution, including the anti-mist punnet tray, packaging films and absorbent technology.
“We offer the absorbency, with options including anti-bacterial and ethylene absorbency, both of which can have a positive impact on the shelf-life of soft and delicate fruits.
“During recent independently-run trials, portions of cut fruit - apples, pineapples, kiwi and melon – were acheiving an additional two to four days shelf-life using Life+ when compared with standard trays and films, which could make a huge difference to retailers.”
The trials were run by the University of Turin, and commissioned by Ilip. Karl added: “This particular trial was run using anti-bacterial fruit pads in the Life+ system. The report concluded that Life+ creates a micro-atmosphere in the pack, regulating the respiration rates of the fruits, and that it helps maintain the fruit’s texture.
Life+ was recently awarded the prestigious gold award at Macfrut - a popular international produce exhibition show, was held in Rimini, Italy, from May 10-12. The Macfrut gold medal, awarded by the L’Informatore Agrario and Cesena Fiera, is awarded by a jury of industry experts for the most significant technical innovations in terms of environmental and economic sustainability and improvement in product quality.
Case studies relating to other fruits show similar benefits to the cut-fruit. With grapes, the system prevents wilting and delays fungal growth, while maintaining flavour, while with mushrooms it has been shown to maintain whiteness and prevent discolouration.
Meanwhile with berries, it has been shown to slow-down ripening, delay the detachment of berries from their stalks, and help delay fungal growth on the surface of the fruit.
For more information:
Tel: +44 1952 230055
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-09-20 Carrefour Spain: 50% less plastic in fruit and vegetable packaging
- 2021-09-17 Agricultural waste fibre tech company completes food packaging trial
- 2021-09-16 Smurfit Kappa will showcase everything that its Agri Experience Center can do for the sector
- 2021-09-15 Lidl GB builds on plastic reduction and recycling programme
- 2021-09-15 Fruit shipper implements Material Recyclability Index
- 2021-09-15 New fruit and vegetable punnet
- 2021-09-14 "We understand that sustainability is no longer an option"
- 2021-09-14 MULTIVAC opens its doors for children
- 2021-09-14 A new 100% plastic-free paper packaging
- 2021-09-10 "We hope to help agricultural companies save on packaging costs"
- 2021-09-10 Prince de Bretagne: New recyclable tomato trays
- 2021-09-10 “I believe this is biggest innovation in mushroom packing for 50 years"
- 2021-09-10 Fresh Del Monte extends sustainable packaging gains
- 2021-09-10 Recyclable and compostable packaging for bite-size potato category
- 2021-09-09 “We noticed a need to develop innovative eco-friendly packaging”
- 2021-09-06 Ocado moves to 100% recyclable packaging material for apples
- 2021-09-06 New CPR crates
- 2021-09-03 Design of process to recycle plastics used in banana production in the Dominican Republic
- 2021-09-03 Sustainable packaging - a small gesture with a huge effect on the environment
- 2021-08-27 Smurfit Kappa announces multimillion Mexican investment