- Product Manager - United States
- Sales Manager
- Account Manager
- Aweta Sales Director Italy and Spain
- Junior Account Manager - Central Europe
- Post-Harvest Quality Manager - Avocado
- Senior Technical Lead - Beamsville (ON) Canada
- General Manager - Buswa, Uganda
- Head Grower - Jordan (ON) Canada
- KAM DE/AT/IT/BE/NL - Valencia, Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Sirane North America opens fruit pad manufacturing facility in Mexico
Absorbent fruit pad production has now begun at the site in Guadalajara after months of planning, using machines shipped over to Mexico from the UK.
While the initial focus will be on the soft-fruit market, the team at Sirane North America have longer-term plans to actively develop other markets, including other food packaging areas and medical & healthcare.
Sirane North America is based in Guadalajara, close to the major berry growing regions and the headquarters of many major growers, and will focus initially on absorbent fruit pads – and the region’s berries and soft-fruit market.
But, long-term, the company has plans to develop a market for all of its food packaging range, particularly absorbent pads and cooking bags, as well as medical & healthcare products.
Simon Balderson said: “Sirane North America’s site in Mexico is a major step for the company. The manufacturing of absorbent fruit pads is really a launch pad; it’s the product that has certainly taken us to Mexico, but not the only reason."
“People often ask us why Mexico? Well Mexico is the perfect place for Sirane to begin manufacturing. Certainly in soft-fruit terms, it is one of the world’s major producers, but geographically it is also quite a distance from many of its major export markets."
“Sirane’s invested a lot of time in recent years on shelf-life extension for fruit and vegetables, and we’ve now got some very effective products. Everything fits."
“By opening manufacturing in Mexico, Sirane will be able to offer better service and better technology to the region, whilst also gaining from their expertise. The transport links will also connect us with major markets in Central and North America.
“We’ll also be able to supply into South America, and in particular the berry markets in Chile and Uruguay. Mexico will make serving these markets much easier.”
Vast quantities of fruit including strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries are exported to Europe, North America and even the Far East from Mexico– making packaging vitally important.
Sirane offers a range of absorbent pads for fruit, including standard absorbency, absorbent ‘cushioned ‘ Soft-Hold bubble pads, and their new Dri-Fresh ABV anti-microbial pads, which contain a blend of natural bio-flavonoids and organic acids which naturally enhance fruit’s own protective defences.
All of these products are planned to be manufactured at the new 1,500 sq m unit in Guadalajara.
Simon Balderson added: “Sirane North America will provide jobs in the region for engineers, scientists and in manufacturing. We have had great help from Pro Mexico in the UK, as well as the Mexican government and the local officials in Jalisco.
“Once we’re fully up and running we’ll be looking at what other opportunities our unique expertise in absorbency and material science will open up."
“It may well be the soft-fruit industry that took us to Mexico, but we’re not just opening a factory to make soft-fruit pads. There will be much more to come from Sirane North America, and it’s going to be an interesting few years.”
For more information:
Tel: +44 (0) 1952 230055
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-09-20 Carrefour Spain: 50% less plastic in fruit and vegetable packaging
- 2021-09-17 Agricultural waste fibre tech company completes food packaging trial
- 2021-09-16 Smurfit Kappa will showcase everything that its Agri Experience Center can do for the sector
- 2021-09-15 Lidl GB builds on plastic reduction and recycling programme
- 2021-09-15 Fruit shipper implements Material Recyclability Index
- 2021-09-15 New fruit and vegetable punnet
- 2021-09-14 "We understand that sustainability is no longer an option"
- 2021-09-14 MULTIVAC opens its doors for children
- 2021-09-14 A new 100% plastic-free paper packaging
- 2021-09-10 "We hope to help agricultural companies save on packaging costs"
- 2021-09-10 Prince de Bretagne: New recyclable tomato trays
- 2021-09-10 “I believe this is biggest innovation in mushroom packing for 50 years"
- 2021-09-10 Fresh Del Monte extends sustainable packaging gains
- 2021-09-10 Recyclable and compostable packaging for bite-size potato category
- 2021-09-09 “We noticed a need to develop innovative eco-friendly packaging”
- 2021-09-06 Ocado moves to 100% recyclable packaging material for apples
- 2021-09-06 New CPR crates
- 2021-09-03 Design of process to recycle plastics used in banana production in the Dominican Republic
- 2021-09-03 Sustainable packaging - a small gesture with a huge effect on the environment
- 2021-08-27 Smurfit Kappa announces multimillion Mexican investment