Announcements

Job Offers

Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

Chile expects to surpass the 210,000 tons of avocado it produced last year

Chile is one of the main avocado exporters worldwide and its avocados are highly appreciated and desired in the international market. The Chilean fruit is not only highly appreciated in the international market but also in the national market. Therefore, it is not surprising that 30 percent of the national avocado production remains in the domestic market and that the remaining 70 percent is exported.

According to Francisco Contardo, the general manager of the Hass Avocado Committee, "this is something very particular and it is because Chileans really love Chilean avocado." Contardo spoke with Simfruit about what to expect of the season that starts this month.

Even though there still are no official figures regarding the avocado production expected for this season, the representative of the avocado producers and exporters said that they projected to achieve a larger production volume than the 210,000 tons achieved in the previous year. In addition, producers expect the caliber of the fruit will be better than the one achieved in the last season.

Francisco Contardo also spoke about the challenges that the Hass Avocado Committee will face this season. “The challenges are to continue promoting sustainable production around our product. We must continue to be leaders in irrigation efficiency, as we have the most technological industry in this regard. I want to highlight the attributes of our product and that the people in Chile and in the world know how proud we are of our avocado. We are the third world power and have one of the best, if not the best, product regarding its taste and quality.”

He added that the Committee has been conducting international campaigns for years to build ties with importers and markets, and that, this year, the emphasis will be on strengthening the alliances that they have already established.

In addition, Contardo said, "we are waiting for possible openings in Korea and India, which can be a great opportunity for some exporters." Even though they don't plan to carry out promotional campaigns in a particular market, the Hass Avocado Committee will be present at the Chile Week in China, especially in Beijing and Shanghai, and in the Asia Fruit Logistica, the most important fair in Asia, which will be held in Hong Kong, he said.

“Our avocado travels better to destinations and arrives with good sales times and excellent and enviable quality. For example, our product arrives in China with approximately 12 sale days,” he said.

Source: SimFRUIT 


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2019

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber