- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Sales Manager
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Außendienstmitarbeiter Substraten
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
- International Citrus Account Manager
Fig consumption on the rise in Europe
This season, the company offers only two varieties, the Brazilian type, called Brown Turkey, and the Cyprus variety, called Autumn Honey. “Both are dark, very tasty, with a better shelf life than during the summer,” says Niva.
According to Niva, consumption tends to increase exponentially before the Christmas holidays in destinations like Scandinavia, the UK or Germany. “I believe it is due to figs being used in high cuisine, for salads, dishes or marmalades. It is an acquired taste, but consumption is on the rise, as people are currently more exposed to ethnic flavours”
In terms of pricing, Avniv Export works with a programme on a fixed price base. “I believe this is good both for me and for my clients; we don’t play with the price. I speak with the grower to find out what he wants and then offer the price to the client, negotiating back with the grower,” states Niva, who also says that “demand is always higher than supply.”
When the firm started exporting figs, in 2009, it first focused on the UK market, which Niva believes to be the most advanced in terms of exotics. “I decided to focus on exotics, because this is something I could have an added value in. I really am passionate about exotics.”
For more information:
Niva Ben Zion
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-22 Vietnamese Jan-Sep fruit and vegetable exports at historical high
- 2023-09-22 First Western Australian commercial avocado shipment arrives in Thailand
- 2023-09-22 Cambodian longan exports to China amount to 8,118 tons
- 2023-09-22 Lower supply of mango anticipated from Peru and Ecuador
- 2023-09-22 Zespri’s final shipments of the 2023 season depart
- 2023-09-22 “We are here to build relationships and over time to strengthen those relations, which is fundamental to our culture"
- 2023-09-22 Saint Lucia ships fresh produce to the Caribbean, Barbados and Dubai
- 2023-09-22 Looking into innovative methods to enhance genetic improvement of passion fruit
- 2023-09-22 "Despite this season's extreme weather in Italy, prickly pear supply is stable, with only a slight dip this week"
- 2023-09-22 Kenyan exports to Netherlands doubled over the past 10 years
- 2023-09-22 "We expect good kaki sales, considering that there won't be much supply"
- 2023-09-22 South Africa's papino shortage improving
- 2023-09-22 "Participating at Fruit Attraction for the first time will set the tone to continue participating in international fairs"
- 2023-09-21 Hawaiian papaya sector has recovered significantly in 2023
- 2023-09-21 "Some elements in the Civil Guard and Attorney General's Office of Michoacán are extorting avocado transporters"
- 2023-09-21 First large scale shipments of Australian avocados to India will likely be sent in January 2024
- 2023-09-21 “We predict a significant increase in the pitahaya production in Spain”
- 2023-09-21 “We are currently at the peak of the cherimoya production campaign”
- 2023-09-21 Egypt reclaims largest mango exporter status to Saudi Arabia in 2022
- 2023-09-21 Cambodian growers urged to gear up to export coconuts to China