A new generation of leaders has graduated from the Hass Avocado Board (HAB) Board Leadership Development (BOLD) program with specialized training and real-world experience to ensure a stronger industry future. The robust, year-long program exposes emerging leaders from across the supply chain to experts and resources essential to forming a well-rounded understanding of the business and being considered board-ready. Newly added experiential learning opportunities, like the two-day, in-person briefing with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in D.C., exemplify how the program immerses participants into the complexities and opportunities to take the industry forward.
“With the avocado industry booming at more than $7 billion in retail dollars, there is constant, dynamic change that requires leaders to have a big picture overview of all the relevant market forces influencing growth,” said John McGuigan, director of industry affairs for the Hass Avocado Board. “The rising stars of BOLD Class 2 graduate with greater strategic vision, a stronger professional network and overall, more excitement and confidence to lead by serving on a board.”
HAB's BOLD program took in a two-day, in-person briefing with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) in D.C.
As supply strives to keep pace with avocados’ growing popularity, the strategic evolution of instruction and expansion of influential guest speakers is becoming one of the BOLD program’s signature qualities. The 2022-2023 curriculum kept its foundational deep dive into the rules of governance and financial and fiduciary responsibilities of board members at the University of California, Davis and added a trip to Washington D.C. to meet with USDA leadership. Through hands-on meetings with industry veterans, HAB staff and mentors with avocado board experience, participants take away from the program fresh insights and a broader perspective of what board service entails.
Energized by their success in the program and ready to contribute more deeply within the avocado industry are the following graduates:
- Casey Evans Beltran, producer/importer, La Bonanza Avocados
- Maureen Cottingham, producer, Camlam Farms, Inc.
- Caitlin Cunha, producer/importer, Del Rey Avocado
- Hillary DeCarl, producer/importer, Del Rey Avocado
- Elizabeth Flores, producer/importer, Mission Produce
- Gwen Jackimek, producer/importer, Del Monte Fresh Produce N.A. Inc.
- Osvaldo Magaña, producer, Limoneira Company
- Carlos Ignacio Valerio Medel, producer, Fruitval S.A. de C.V.
- Jeff Onstot, producer/importer, Westfalia Fruit Marketing USA
- Jose Daniel Pardo, producer/importer, Westfalia Fruit Marketing USA
- John Patrick, producer/importer, Eco Farms
- LeighAnne Thomsen, importer, Calavo Growers
As Class 2 continues its journey to make a difference in the industry, BOLD will welcome Class 3 in April. Click here to learn more about the program and its benefits to the avocado industry.
For more information:
Hass Avocado Board