- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
- “I don’t know how blueberry farmers are going to survive”
- Shelf-life extension technology reduces brown stems in grapes
- Avocados Australia looks at export markets as growers brace for another oversupply situation
- "The recent price of Chilean cherries is lower than the same period last year"
- Israel’s 2022-2023 citrus season estimated to be lower and challenging
Top 5 -last week
- Growing potatoes 'in thin air' could increase profits up to 20 percent
- More early South African grapes kept locally
- Early stonefruit, perhaps early grapes as well
- “You don’t only have to be knowledgeable about the crop, but you also have to know how to work with others"
- Dutoit opens new Cherry Time™ packhouse with a ‘cherrific’ crop
Top 5 -last month
Colin Galbraith - Moorhouse and Mohan
"People will have look at which sweet potato varieties they grow"
Galbraith sees demand for sweet potatoes increasing in the coming years, meaning that more will have to be imported from other countries such as South Africa. "They have been growing sweet potatoes there for years but only a local variety Bushbok. It is a white fleshed sweet potato, until now they have not grown the orange fleshed varieties in any volumes. Some South African growers have been talking to retailers so volumes from there will increase."
According to Galbraith they are also doing trials in the Ukraine. The Green Team, a Ukrainian company of which Galbraith is a member of the board has trialed sweet potatoes and they were surprised by how well it worked. The company will now go forward with a second year of trials. "What is becoming more obvious is that people will have to look more closely at the varieties grown especially for processing. As size and shape is important," explains Galbraith.
The market in the UK is buoyant at the moment, but not particularity highly priced. Christmas seems to have increased demand for sweet potatoes, through the whole market fresh as well as processed.
"Sweet potato is very interesting as demand is picking up in Europe and also in Eastern Europe. Sweet potatoes were even in a Ukrainian supermarket, although the sweet potato does not appear on the Ministry of Agriculture's list of products so there is no categorisation, I'm not sure how they got there as there is no category to import them," said Galbraith.
Moorhouse & Mohan have recently been filmed by a crew from the Discovery Channel, who followed the journey of the sweet potatoes right from the US growers to the UK market. The documentary which will be aired next year, will feature the packhouses, ships being loaded and the sweet potatoes being trucked from the port.
For more information:
Moorehouse & Mohan
Tel: +44 1354 602860
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-29 "The challenge for the sector of making kakis profitable is as current as ever"
- 2022-11-29 "The demand for Canary papayas has been especially high until a couple of weeks ago"
- 2022-11-29 Avocados Australia looks at export markets as growers brace for another oversupply situation
- 2022-11-29 New export season of mangosteens from Java has started
- 2022-11-29 Ugandan cane farmers opt for Hass avocado cultivation
- 2022-11-29 "Organic mangoes are always sought-after during the festive season"
- 2022-11-29 Planting of organic kiwifruit in China is increasing year by year
- 2022-11-28 Kenya managed to export 1,700 tons of avocados to China in past three months
- 2022-11-28 Malawi Alphonso mangoes arrive at APMC Navi Mumbai
- 2022-11-28 "Zizuan" figs effectively prolong the storage period of fresh fruits
- 2022-11-28 The influx of Vietnamese durians into China has intensified market competition
- 2022-11-28 La Libertad leads exports of avocados, blueberries and asparagus
- 2022-11-28 New mango varieties appear on Australian supermarket shelves
- 2022-11-28 Rwanda to launch its first avocado sea freight shipment
- 2022-11-25 Wet weather and late start not putting a dampener on Honey Gold season
- 2022-11-25 Organic ginger from a Dutch greenhouse
- 2022-11-25 Productive Maluma avocado grown in Israel, on its way to EU, Cyprus and Turkey
- 2022-11-25 October export volume of ginger was still declining, no significant increase in average export price
- 2022-11-25 Senegalese mango exports decrease
- 2022-11-25 Zespri releases November 2022/23 forecast