- Assistant Production & Plant Health Manager
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Head of International Farming
- Sr. Productinnovatie (R&D) Engineer
- Aftersales Coördinator
- Maintenance Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- General Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Sales Development Executive - Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
United States provides aid of US$15 million for cashew production in Mozambique
The announcement was made at the end of a visit to agricultural projects in Nampula, in Northern Mozambique, byb a team headed up by the Assistant secretary of state for the United States Agricultural Department, Krysta Harden. According to the statement, the funding will also benefit producers and small and medium-sized companies that process cashew nuts, which is one of Mozambique’s most important product, which it exports to the European Union, the United States and the Middle East.
In 1974, Mozambique was the world’s largest cashew nut producer, producing 42.7 percent of the world’s cashews and, after independence, in 1975, the government adopted protectionist measures, which prevented unprocessed cashews from being exported.
Problems with financing the economy and inefficient production processes led to a downturn in the sector and the industry in the 1980s, which led to its total disappearance, with factories closing and thousands of people made unemployed.
In June of this year, the president of the National Cashew Institute (Incaju), Filomena Maiopué, estimated that cashew production in Mozambique this year would total 110,000 tons, recovering from poor performance in 2012, in which the country produced just 64,000 tons of cashews. (macauhub)
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-12-05 Israeli start-up targets California almond market
- 2019-12-04 US: Hazelnut Marketing Board commits to expanding export markets in Asia
- 2019-12-02 Australia: Select Harvests has had great nut haul
- 2019-11-29 “Currency exchange rate is a huge problem”
- 2019-11-29 Tree nut and dried fruit productions to add up to 4.5M and 3.3M metric tons, respectively
- 2019-11-27 New Tonda Francescana hazelnut variety
- 2019-11-19 US farmers want 'their Chinese market' back
- 2019-11-15 Walnuts and hazelnuts: income is made possible by programming
- 2019-11-13 British Columbia: Hazelnut industry bounces back in a big way
- 2019-11-13 Ghana’s food security threatened by expanding cashew production
- 2019-11-12 India is largest South Asian market for California’s walnuts
- 2019-11-08 Pace of walnut harvesting accelerates in Moldova
- 2019-11-08 Drop in chestnut volumes between 60 and 90%
- 2019-11-06 New partnership to make prune-based energy bars
- 2019-11-05 "With new line of dried fruit from South Africa, wholesaler and specialty stores can distinguish themselves"
- 2019-11-05 Fatty acids quality index to classify pistachio cultivars
- 2019-11-05 Turkey increases its global share of hazelnut production
- 2019-11-05 US project Sterile NOW shows major improvements
- 2019-11-01 Are you ready for PollyO?
- 2019-11-01 “Hot dry summer in Europe promises a good chestnut season”