Start of domestic campaign for Vicente Peris' gourmet Piel de Sapo melons

The Valencian company Vicente Peris has started the domestic campaign of its gourmet Piel de Sapo melons: the 18 Quilates and Vicentín. Only the best pieces of the highest quality batches are intended for these brands, requiring them to undergo a triple selection, both in the field and in the processing plant. In fact, last year, out of a production totaling 4.45 million kilos of melon, only 16% -about half a million kilos- bore the Vicentín label, and just 48,000 kilos were marketed under the 18 Quilates brand.

In order to pass the strict quality controls required by these brands, the fruit must weigh more than three kilos, be firm, and have a good shape and high Brix degrees. When tasted, these melons have firm, ivory-colored flesh, have an intense and elegant aroma, with herbal hints of vanilla, and are juicy and very sweet.

"Assuming that the Piel de Sapo melon that we work with at Peris is among the best on the market in terms of quality, our premium brands can only deliver the best of the best. So much so, that there are seasons in which we do not supply Vicentín or 18 Quilates, even if there are orders, because the varieties available, their origin or seasonality do not allow it," says Alberto Montaña, general manager of Vicente Peris.

Peris' domestic melon production is grown in the open fields of Murcia and Castile-La Mancha. The first of the season arrive from Campo de Cartagena, where Peris has its fields on sandy land near the sea, and at the end of July, Peris starts working with the Piel de Sapo melons grown in Castile-La Mancha, which also reach the excellence in terms of quality required by the company for its most select brands.

The remaining production is intended for its Peris Dolce Gold, Peris Dolce Premium and Peris brands, also top-tier and highly sought after for their excellent value for money.

Production increase in 2021
In 2021, Vicente Peris expects to increase its Piel de Sapo melon production by 10% over the previous year, which would bring the total to 4.95 million kilos. The main destination will be Spain and other European countries, such as France, Germany and Belgium.

Peris allocates 85% of its annual production to fresh marketing and the remaining 15% for fresh cut, packing peeled and cut melon and melon with Serrano ham, both in ready-to-eat formats. The pre-prepared convenience food range also includes film-wrapped half melon pieces, the consumption of which has increased in recent years.

For more information:
Vicente Peris
Tel.: +34 961 491 106
buzon@vicenteperis.com
www.vicenteperis.com


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Instagram Rss

© FreshPlaza.com 2021

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber