Announcements

Job Offers

Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

Antoine Vajou, Val Légumes SAS – Fontenay Farm:

“Notable difference in quality between French onions harvested before and after September 20th”

The French onion harvest is not over yet, especially in the Grand-Est and Hauts-de-France, but the situation on the market already looks very different from last year. “Last year, we were able to supply our clients with French onions all year, for those who really wanted this origin. This year, it is clear that volumes are higher than those of 2018. In fact, there are currently promotional actions like we usually see in early September and around Halloween. Quantities were too small for this last year. For now, it seems to be a normal year in terms of yields. However, we are not yet able to determine the balance between the volumes of good quality and lesser quality,” explains Antoine Vajou, manager of Val Légumes SAS-Fontenay Farm.

There is indeed a notable difference in quality this year between the onions harvested before and after September 20th. “Until September 20th, the very dry weather conditions were ideal to harvest the onions. But then, it rained almost every week, so the onions harvested after this date are of lesser quality, with skins more stained and sanitary qualities affected. The big question now is to see how the onions harvested after September 20th will evolve,” explains Antoine.

Vajou: HEV range that highlights geographical origin of product
Since mid-September, Val Légumes SAS sells its Vajou range to regional purchasing centers and supermarkets. “We named the range after us to recall the agricultural origins of the family, which has been evolving for 4 generations. This is a regional, premium and HEV range. The goal of the range is to highlight the geographical origin of the product, mainly around the Grand-Est, where we grow 70% of our production, and the Île-de-France where the remaining 30% are produced.” At the beginning of the season, the onions of the range are certified HEV and ZPR. And as the season evolves and the ZPR production will no longer be available, the range will only be sold under the HEV label. In order to illustrate this regional approach, the label’s graphic charter displays a picture of the family every 25 years.

For more information:
Antoine Vajou
Val Légumes SAS – Ferme de Fontenay
9, rue de l’Eglise,
10400 Fontenay de Bossery
Phone: +33 3 25 39 54 20
Fax: +33 3 25 39 54 22
www.fermedefontenay.fr 


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber