The Namibian government needs an estimated N$30 million (€1.5 mln) to contain the locust outbreak in the Zambezi region. The outbreak of the African migratory red locust was reported on 12 August 2020. Agriculture, Water and Land Reform minister Calle Schlettwein told the National Assembly on Thursday that since then, more reports are being received on a daily basis.
“This is the second outbreak in the Zambezi region this year following the first outbreak in February 2020. An area of about 4000 square kilometres has been invaded and 500 hectares of grazing has so far been destroyed by the locusts,” Schlettwein said.
The minister added the required funds are for manpower, vehicle fleet, equipment, personnel protective equipment (PPEs) and other resources to effectively combat the outbreak. A spraying team of 35 staff members trained at different Agricultural Development Centres across the country had been deployed. Namibian.com.na reports that the ministry also dispatched 4 175 litres of pesticides to contain the pest outbreak.