- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
- Сhief technology officer, Tula region - Russia
- Controller Technician / Electrician - Horticulture, Australia
- International Editor – Netherlands
- Farming Manager – Atherton Tablelands, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
- More sustainable packaging for Rockit mini-apple
- Chile: US retail begins to demand blockchain technology
- UK: Short supply creates "incredible" demand for sweet potatoes
- "The Paris basin is experiencing significant problems in terms of supply and quality"
- Improved weather conditions for Mexico blackberry season
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Status of dams 14-02-2018
NAMC sets up advisory platform on drought response
Click here to see the status of dams in South Africa
Department of water and sanitation
The Committee consists of representatives from organised agriculture, agribusiness, government, academia and research institutions. This broad representation gives it a credibility that ensures that its recommendations are comprehensive, practical and relevant, taking current knowledge and research outcomes into account.
“Section 7 of its founding legislation, the Marketing of Agricultural Products Act of 1996, mandates the NAMC to carry out special investigations on matters of concern to the agricultural industry. The current drought from which some parts of the country are struggling to recover, is one such matter”, said the NAMC Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Zama Xalisa, following the fifth meeting of the Committee set up with under the approval of Minister Zokwana during the height of the drought that has ravaged the country since 2015.
Harry Prinsloo, the Deputy Chairman of the NAMC and the current Chairperson of the Section 7 Committee on Drought remarked, “The NAMC must step in to use its convening advantages to bring together agribusiness, the banking sector, academia, government and other stakeholders to deal with this serious matter.” He added: “This committee must come up with a smart drought disaster management plan using reliable data, intelligence and state of the art analytical tools to advise current policy processes around drought and disaster response, and must focus on interventions that mitigate the anticipated long-term recovery from this drought and the past drought in 2015/16.”
The Committee will produce evidence of the economic impact of drought on key agricultural subsectors in South Africa and present possible future scenarios to show outcomes of various responses to drought. “The Western Cape, and parts of Eastern Cape, Northern Cape, Free State and North West are currently reeling from this devastating drought, and urgent policy responses are now required to shield the economy from a severe blow that could even threaten the achievement of the goals of the National Development Plan (NDP).” said Xalisa.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-05 Smurfit Kappa secures Argentinian awards for sustainable packaging
- 2018-12-04 New European agent for Wizard Manufacturing
- 2018-12-03 IQF-specialist announces presence during Fresh Business Expo
- 2018-11-30 "First International Avocado Congress" in Peru
- 2018-11-29 Global food systems are failing humanity and speeding up climate change
- 2018-11-29 Besana strengthens its presence in China
- 2018-11-29 Photo report: Interpom | Primeurs three days themed around the potato chain
- 2018-11-28 Retailer and buying organization registration now open for Organic Produce Summit 2019
- 2018-11-28 "More than 100 exhibitors to participate at Fresh Business Expo Ukraine"
- 2018-11-27 Colombia: Augura will participate in the World Banana Forum
- 2018-11-27 “Don’t work together for subsidies but for a better future”
- 2018-11-27 Festive opening of Interpom Primeurs during Belgapom party
- 2018-11-27 "Using subsidies to increase production is not the way to go"
- 2018-11-26 China: Opening of 2018 Damei Jinghai
- 2018-11-23 Horti China 2018: Quiet last day
- 2018-11-23 The Dominican Republic's National Pineapple Fair will focus on exports
- 2018-11-22 More new companies joining Horti China
- 2018-11-22 "Omni-channel retail is bad for produce brands ... currently"
- 2018-11-21 Customers value time just as much as money
- 2018-11-21 Busy first day at Horti China 2018