- Greenhouse Lighting Specialist - Athens or Atlanta (GA), USA
- Head of Sales
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Spain: Great price gap between large and small onions
"While we normally harvest around 80,000 kilos of onions per hectare, this campaign the yield oscillates between 50,000 and 60,000 kilos per hectare, with Albacete as the most affected province," reports Luis Fernando Rubio, Procecam's chief of communication. "The constantly high temperatures have caused the plants to produce very quickly and the onions have not developed correctly, leading to an abundance of medium and small calibres and a shortage of large ones. This has mostly affected the onion varieties for sowing; transplant onions have suffered much less from the impact of the heat."
According to the Procecam spokesperson, this decline in production has already been noticed in the markets, since onion prices stand low but stable at the moment, enough to cover production costs. "It is also worth noting that there is a great price gap between large and small calibres," he added.
In spite of the problems with calibres, Luis Fernando highlights the good health of this year's onions, with very few thrips issues. Castile-La Mancha continues harvesting onions at the moment ... "with ideal weather conditions."
The Spanish export of onions continues to increase
Although the domestic market is very strong for Spanish onions, exports continue to increase significantly, according to Luis Fernando.
"About 47% of the Spanish onion production is exported, mainly to EU countries and to a lesser extent, to third countries, with newly opened markets such as Taiwan and the United States," he explains.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2017-10-25 "Due to low potato prices we are now competing with countries like Pakistan"
- 2017-10-24 Germany: Onion forum 18th - 19th January 2018 in Peine
- 2017-09-29 Spain: Great price gap between large and small onions
- 2017-09-28 Researchers extract cancer-fighting properties from Ontario grown onions
- 2017-09-27 Dutch onion exports hit record levels reaching nearly 1.1M tonnes
- 2017-09-26 Patatas Aguilar celebrates 50th anniversary and will invest 4 M€ in new machinery
- 2017-09-25 Kiremko releases new sliver remover for potato products
- 2017-09-25 World onion sector to meet in Spain
- 2017-09-22 Israel: Researchers develop more nutritious and colourful potatoes
- 2017-09-21 Global trade potatoes increasing
- 2017-09-20 Acreage reduction brings better prices for Oregon potato growers
- 2017-09-19 “As long as harvests are unpredictable, the need remains”
- 2017-09-18 New sorter for taking samples and a 2-in-1 Pack
- 2017-09-15 GhanaVeg begins trials of eight onion varieties
- 2017-09-15 Maris Piper still king among UK potato growers
- 2017-09-14 Fall in S Korean onion production brings opportunities for Chinese exporters
- 2017-09-13 "New way of packaging potatoes and onions"
- 2017-09-12 Tong demonstrates EasyFill Box Filler at Potato Europe
- 2017-09-12 Indian researchers developing uniform-sized onions
- 2017-09-11 India imports 2,400 tonnes of onions from Egypt to lower prices