- Lighting Applications Specialist - Beamsville (Ontario) Canada
- Senior Product Manager Young Plants
- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Soft Fruit
- IPM Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Human Resources Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Assistant Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Head Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- General Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Greenhouse Installation Specialist - Hallam, Victoria, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Organic farms faced with competition from imported produce
Consumers in Germany have a large variety of organic products at low prices imported from Poland and outside of the EU on offer. Organic, but no longer environmentally friendly.
Hans Hinrich Hatje has thrown in the towel. His son has taken over the 170 ha farm for traditional farming. According to a study by the Thünen Institute, 5% of organic farmers are rethinking the decision.
23,000 German organic farmers are too few to be both competitive and fulfil the rising demand for organic produce. They are faced with competition from low-priced imported produce from Poland and outside of the EU.
However, in France, organic farmers have no reason to escape the phenomenon. The Agence Bio is pleased with the amount of farmers converting to organic farming, but the sector is not structured enough to ensure them profitable turnover in the longterm. Yet as national production does not cover consumer demand, the retailers turn to large imports at lower prices than those on the French market.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-04-19 “Mangeons bio ensemble”: the company continues to grow
- 2019-04-19 Valencia's organic agriculture records sharpest growth in Spain
- 2019-04-18 "Satisfactory start for organic citrus in dramatic Spanish citrus season"
- 2019-04-18 "The increasing demand for organic fruits was very helpful"
- 2019-04-18 France: Organic consumers have a better diet
- 2019-04-17 Classic retailers maintain high market share at Bio-O & G
- 2019-04-16 Tunisian organic farming is booming
- 2019-04-16 International organic produce supply and trends discussed at Organic Produce Summit
- 2019-04-15 Benin: Organic products become more and more popular with consumers
- 2019-04-12 Simonato: Organic since 1997
- 2019-04-11 "Higher CO2 taxes for cooled organic fruit no longer valid now that it's being grown energy-neutrally"
- 2019-04-10 Danish government allocates 30 million to enlarge organic acreage
- 2019-04-10 Norway: market share of organic rising
- 2019-04-10 Agronuquel: An organic orchard feeding Inditex workers
- 2019-04-10 Togo: Organic pineapple offers people work and dignity
- 2019-04-09 France: “Heated greenhouse production not organic”
- 2019-04-09 Kingdom of Saudi Arabia: SR1.6 million allocated for farmers to go organic
- 2019-04-08 HaciendasBio recorded a 61% growth in its production volume in 2018
- 2019-04-08 “Biodynamics is a strategic axis of our development”
- 2019-04-08 The Swiss are very fond of organic food