Herbs

Outbreak traced to basil from Mexico

CDC: 241 confirmed victims in Cyclospora outbreak

Last Monday, the CDC waited declared an end to a cyclosporiasis outbreak that was traced to basil from Mexico. The tally of laboratory-confirmed patients stands at 241, with…

Ido Yaari of Arava Export Growers:

“We have been growing herbs since the 1980s”

Through a combination of open field and greenhouse growing, Israel is able to produce and export herbs year-round. Arava Export Growers, an Israeli based company with branches…

Start-up ECF supplies regional Rewe branches

Berliner Aquaponik-Anlage delivers 6,000 to 8,000 basil pots per week

Basil and perch are produced by the start-up ECF in the aquaponic system on their farm in the middle of Berlin. The founders also show that they can plan and build. Now there are two large greenhouses on the 1,800 square meter site, where basil grows. Between 6,000 and 8,000 pots leave the farm weekly after…

David Van Steenkiste, Herbas

“Top chefs not satisfied with the usual herbs, like rosemary or thyme”

  David Van Steenkiste spent ten years as a chef. He then started working as a herbalist at Sergio Herman's Pure C in the Netherlands. What began as being a herbalist for one top chef has grown into a business - Herbas. “I currently supply herbs, edible flowers, and vegetables to 20 Michelin star restaurants in…

“We grow in the country, for the country”

Fresh herbs have been gaining popularity in the past few years and according to Jonna Hansson from the Swedish herb company Spisa Smaker, the product demand has been steady. The company works mostly with potted herbs, which makes up about 85% of their product while the other 15% of their product is cut…

Sudanese farmers: Basil can stand in for expensive chemical pesticides

The nation of Sudan has been spending huge sums of money importing chemical pesticides. But it seems like local farmers have found a natural alternative: Basil (Ocimum…

Unapproved pesticides on basil from two Oahu farms

The state of Hawaii has ordered two Oahu farms to stop selling fresh basil that tested positive for unapproved pesticides during routine sampling. It concerns Chun Lian Yuan…

Indigenous Australian vegetable supplier grows with Coles partnership

South Australian Indigenous vegetable grower Nunga Produce has grown its business by double, thanks to its long-term partnership with Coles supermarkets. Supplying Coles has given Nunga Produce the confidence to expand its operations of growing crops and purchasing vegetables and herbs, by providing the…

Cyclosporiasis outbreak hit patients in 11 states

22 people sick in Florida- linked to basil

A parasitic illness outbreak has sickened at least 22 Florida restaurant customers in the last month. The cyclosporiasis outbreak has hit patients in 11 states, sending four…


© FreshPlaza.com 2019