- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Area Sales Manager Benelux
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- ‘EU citrus ban due to false codling moth not politically motivated’
- Something sweet out of the bitterness of a citrus season gone awry
- GLOBAL MARKET OVERVIEW GARLIC
- "We have noticed that oranges are losing ground and mandarin consumption is on the rise"
- Consumers are buying more frozen vegetables because they are a healthy cheaper option
Top 5 -last month
- Vegetable trade war between Botswana and South Africa escalates
- Europe puts a lid on organic orange production in South Africa
- Citrus exporter: Appeal to shipping lines met with “an arrogance that astonishes me”
- Faster avocado growing method developed by Israeli researchers
- New potato disease found in North Dakota and Minnesota
Fresh cut produce gets increased shelf-life
Sirane’s fresh produce range is perfect for fresh cut fruit and vegetables, offering shelf-life extension, absorbency including ethylene, and punnets for safe transportation.
Sandra Evans, sales manager for fresh produce, said: “Food waste is a huge issue – not just in terms of ethics but also in terms of profits. Reducing waste is good for everyone.
“Consumers love the convenience of fresh cut produce, but how much ends up getting thrown away? Cut produce deteriorates quicker with more surface area, and the more vulnerable inside of the fruit exposed. There’s also increased labour costs with cut produce, so the potential losses with food past its sell by date are much higher.”
Significant shelf-life extension of between two and five days has been reported for fruit and vegetables using an innovative new wrapping - Sira-Flex Resolve.
In UK trials cut cauliflower and broccoli florets - which following transportation had been deteriorating after just one day on the shelves - were still in good condition after five days.
The trials showed an additional two days shelf-life for cabbages, leeks and carrots.
Sirane’s Sira-Flex Resolve is a new, unique film which has been developed to have the optimum balance between humidity control and O2 and CO2 permeability.
The permeability is temperature dependant so that the perfect atmosphere is maintained inside the pack even if the storage temperature is variable.
Simon Balderson, Sirane’s managing director, said: “The results are remarkable. There is no condensation on the inside of the film and the product does not dry out.
“The package atmosphere is maintained with the optimum balance of atmospheric gases to prevent degradation. In simple terms, the food lasts longer.
“Shelf life extension of several days and more is achieved for many products. The film is suitable for all types of vegetables including salads as well as many types of fresh fruit.”
Sirane recommends trials with all our products, as produce behaves differently depending on the type of fruit or vegetable and the storage conditions which vary tremendously.
Absorbent pads can also help prolong the shelf-life of fresh cut produce.
Our Dri-Fresh range offers absorbent pads perfect for fresh cut fruit. Pads can absorb excess purge and juices as well as ethylene, helping keep the fruit fresh.
Dri-Fresh Resolve pads provides an exceptional absorbent presentation surface for cut fruit whilst ensuring the fruit is allowed to breathe. This is achieved through its specially developed microporous surface allowing air to circulate whilst absorbing excess juices.
Dri-Fresh Fresh-Hold EA absorbent pads contain an active natural insert which absorbs ethylene released by the fruit during the ripening and ageing process.
Mrs Evans added: “Ethylene is the most potent agent of fruit and vegetable ageing and its effective absorption has a proven and significant benefit for shelf-life. The technology used is completely natural and safe for food contact.”
Sirane also has dividers for punnets perfect for cut fruit and vegetables. We can provide these dividers with absorbency to take any excess, cushioning the fresh product in the retail pack, which can aid in reducing condensation due to temperature fluctuation.
Whether you are looking for a retail solution or products for catering en masse, Sirane has a solution somewhere in its product range. If we don’t, we’ll develop it for you…
For more information:
Tel: 0044 1952 230055
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-05-31 FoodBags containers - ecological, affordable and smart
- 2021-05-28 "Infrared scanner analyzes fresh produce's internal quality, predicts shelf life”
- 2021-05-27 New pineapple and watermelon cutting machines by PND
- 2021-05-26 Packaging and labelling fresh fruit and vegetables sustainably
- 2021-05-25 Central Queensland grower pilots new MultiView™ camera system for snack tomatoes
- 2021-05-24 Labeling system also supports with inventory management
- 2021-05-21 "Despite the crisis, Bizerba is increasing sales and investing in the future"
- 2021-05-20 90% success for robotic tomato harvester
- 2021-05-19 Conserver boxes allow produce to maintain premium quality during long transit times
- 2021-05-18 A line suitable for delicate produce
- 2021-05-17 Fully automated meal packaging with case packers of Lan Handeling
- 2021-05-14 Robotics vs. labor shortages
- 2021-05-13 Compostable and recyclable punnets for grapes, cherries, apricots, etc.
- 2021-05-12 The world’s first avocado packing robot
- 2021-05-11 Citrus derivative makes transparent wood 100 percent renewable
- 2021-05-10 Bioactive paper coatings to replace plastic for packaging foods
- 2021-05-07 Australian couple markets world first compostable potato-based cling wrap, pallet wrap
- 2021-05-06 DS Smith and Solarenn : a zero plastic partnership
- 2021-05-05 "Bloom guard is the ideal packaging to protect and market lettuce"
- 2021-05-04 New sustainable packaging solutions launched to meet increasing demand