- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Area Sales Manager Benelux
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
- Apple industry on Canada's East Coast affected by Hurricane Fiona
- Florida growers and importers brace for Hurricane Ian
- “Demand for the Wonderful variety pomegranates is high right now”
- World Container Index sinks to January 2021 levels
- Researchers boost nutritive benefits of sweet potato with novel drying technology
Top 5 -last week
- ‘EU citrus ban due to false codling moth not politically motivated’
- Something sweet out of the bitterness of a citrus season gone awry
- GLOBAL MARKET OVERVIEW GARLIC
- "We have noticed that oranges are losing ground and mandarin consumption is on the rise"
- Consumers are buying more frozen vegetables because they are a healthy cheaper option
Top 5 -last month
- Vegetable trade war between Botswana and South Africa escalates
- Europe puts a lid on organic orange production in South Africa
- Citrus exporter: Appeal to shipping lines met with “an arrogance that astonishes me”
- Faster avocado growing method developed by Israeli researchers
- New potato disease found in North Dakota and Minnesota
Sweet potato grower and exporter invests $5m in new packing house
“There has been a two week delay due to the hurricane but everything is going in phases, storage building is fully constructed and now we are working on assembling our packing line. The most important part was being ready for the harvest, in the meantime we have to work with what we have,” says Steven.
The storage facility was supposed to be complete by September but this happened only 2 weeks ago. This, Steven says might slow them down a bit, but was quick to add that quality and standards will remain the same even with the delay. The new packing line, however, is expected to be ready by January next year.
Hurricane Matthew effects
“We were incredibly lucky after the storm, for about seven days after we had sun throughout, temperatures have been good since, we have been very fortunate as we are looking at a 10% to 15% loss,” said Steven.
According to Steven, most sweet potato growers had harvested most of their crop by the time the hurricane hit which means there will be plenty of sweet potatoes available for the holidays from North Carolina.
Organic sweet potatoes
Steven says the demand for organic sweet potatoes is growing but rather slow as so far the demand is predominantly for the baby food market. But generally the demand for Farm Fresh Produce sweet potatoes has been growing.
Farm Fresh Produce exports sweet potatoes to England, Holland, Ireland, France and the United States.
For more information:
Farm Fresh Produce
Tel: +1 910 920 9871
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-29 Researchers are seeking to develop spuds that resist harmful nematodes
- 2022-09-29 Irish potatoes: Retail demand and consumption have remained stable
- 2022-09-29 Royal Avebe fertilisation strategy should lead to higher potato yields
- 2022-09-29 “Despite a decrease in demand, the onion market remains steady"
- 2022-09-29 Value of all potatoes sold in 2021 in Idaho, Oregon and Washington at $1.92 billion
- 2022-09-29 Canadian potato farmers planted 155,856 hectares of potatoes in 2022
- 2022-09-28 Onion smuggling continues, sometimes under the very nose of the Bureau of Customs
- 2022-09-28 "From November, buying potatoes on the spot market will become difficult"
- 2022-09-27 China's potato exports hit another record in August
- 2022-09-27 Nearly 44% of potatoes harvested in Belarus
- 2022-09-26 Sri Lankan growers burdened by onion imports
- 2022-09-26 Jamaican government hopes sweet potatoes will replace imported wheat
- 2022-09-26 Farming business supplies KFC and exports to Europe
- 2022-09-23 US retail consumers spent more on potatoes
- 2022-09-22 40% drop in onion supply in Spain and the rest of Europe is driving prices up
- 2022-09-22 APMC in Vashi welcomes new crop of potatoes
- 2022-09-22 France: The traditional shallot of Brittany wants its PGI
- 2022-09-22 “Demand for onions this week not what it has been for last couple of weeks”
- 2022-09-22 This season, UK growers need to use sprout suppressant early
- 2022-09-22 ‘Strengthening the potato value chain in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq’