- Export Trade Manager
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Sales Manager
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Außendienstmitarbeiter Substraten
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
Spain: Uvasdoce to again market the Mini Uvas for Christmas
“We had to start importing Italian grapes earlier than usual to be able to cover our contracted demand,” explains Miriam Cutillas, from the Marketing Department of the company Uvasdoce. “In any case, our greatest hurdles were the drop in both prices and consumption levels, more severe in Spain, but also noticeable at some other markets, such as the United Kingdom,” she explains. “The Aledo variety is not giving us as many quality problems at the moment, although volumes are smaller than usual.”
Despite all this, this is the time of the year when grapes are more popular, both nationally, motivated by the popular tradition of eating grapes on New Year’s Eve, and internationally, with France and Italy being the main markets for Aledo grapes at the moment.
“The only drawback during the Christmas period in Spain is the price war between supermarket chains. The increasingly lower prices are leading us to export more; for this reason, the acreage devoted to the Aledo variety keeps being reduced, as production costs are higher than with other varieties.”
In preparation for New Year’s Eve, Uvasdoce sells various formats containing the twelve grapes, using both Aledo grapes from Vinalopo and other imported seedless varieties.
“Spain is, without a doubt, the main market for these, although we have also been distributing them in Italy for the past four years. The tradition there is to eat lentils, but in some regions the Spanish custom of the twelve grapes is gaining popularity, and we believe the tradition can spread to even more overseas markets,” affirms Miriam.
This year, Uvasdoce will once again market the Mini Uvas (Mini Grapes) format, which was a success last year. It contains grapes of a smaller calibre, presented in a bell-shaped container, and it is distributed to large supermarket chains and hotels.
Uvasdoce, committed to fighting cancer
This year, the company has signed a one year agreement with the Spanish Association Against Cancer. A new line of products will be launched this week with the seal of this association; a part of the profits generated will be invested in cancer research related projects.
“With the agreement coming into force and taking advantage of the fact that it is Christmas, we will launch a 1 kilo present-shaped container. 10% of the revenue generated by its sales will be donated to the Spanish Association Against Cancer.
For more information:
Estrella Miralles (Commercial Director)
M: +34 655225286
Miriam Cutillas (Marketing)
M: +34 659670964
Ctra. Monforte-Agost km. 6.9
Partida de las Norias nº 188
T: +34 965 620 125
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-27 Idaho man breaks personal record for catching grapes while juggling
- 2023-09-27 Washington anticipates 130 million boxes of apples this season
- 2023-09-27 Shipments of cranberries from Wisconsin and Massachusetts forecast down this season
- 2023-09-27 More than half of apples available for US consumption used in juices
- 2023-09-27 Late summer heat and sun promise sweet Ontario apples
- 2023-09-27 Belgium owned apple brand's European season is off to an energetic start
- 2023-09-27 Planasa has two new winter and double-harvest raspberry varieties, and an extra-early day-neutral strawberry variety
- 2023-09-27 “While last year the problem was the calibers, this year it will be the russeting”
- 2023-09-27 Brazilian melon exports surge in August, driven by European demand
- 2023-09-27 Cherry Growers Australia and Agriculture Victoria forge ahead with year 2 of the innovative cherries traceability pilot
- 2023-09-27 Portugal negotiates opening of Thailand’s pear market
- 2023-09-27 Peruvian blueberry export season shows a drop of 48%
- 2023-09-27 There was an increase in Brazilian domestic demand for fruits in August
- 2023-09-27 Prices of watermelons in Australia skyrocket as summer approaches
- 2023-09-27 Deal signed to market Italian raspberry Amalia Rossa in the UK and Ireland
- 2023-09-27 Operators from all over the world to discuss berries
- 2023-09-27 “Serious problems affecting both volumes and quality of Peru table grapes”
- 2023-09-27 Fruit Holding Bebnissi Family Gardens prepares to plant 25 hectares of super-intensive pear orchards
- 2023-09-26 SnapDragon apple harvest promising despite weather challenges
- 2023-09-26 BerryWorld remains true to principles as it approaches 30th anniversary year