- VP Growing Operations
- Export Trade Manager
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Sales Manager
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Außendienstmitarbeiter Substraten
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
Port of Wilmington welcomes first Chilean Fruit vessel
In the early morning hours on a crisp and sunny late Fall morning, she commenced unloading her cargo of over 756,000 boxes of fresh cherries, blueberries, stone fruit, and table grapes. Wilmington is a major port of entry and distribution centre for the seasonal importation of fresh Chilean fruit. During this season the Port anticipates receiving at least 25 shiploads of fruit from the Chilean ports of Valparaiso, Coquimbo, and Caldera. Newly formed Global Reefers, a joint venture of two long term Port customers Pacific Seaways and Seatrade, is the sole shipping line providing an express service direct from Chile to the Port of Wilmington. ”The arrival of the Coral Mermaid marks the fourth year in a row that Wilmington has had the opportunity to optimally support our Chilean partners’ and our local customers’ commercial interests by enabling them to be ‘first to market’ with the freshest fruit for this holiday season,” said Gene Bailey, the Port’s Executive Director.
The Chilean fruit season runs from December through April, satisfying the enormous consumer demand in North America for high quality fresh fruit during the wintertime. “We are very pleased and excited that Wilmington and Global Reefers are ‘first on the River’ for the Chilean season,” said John Coulahan, President of Pacific Delaware, Inc. “Everyone is hoping for a good season and we welcome the Coral Mermaid to the Port.”
The cargo is stored in the Port’s 800,000 sf on-dock refrigerated warehouse complex, North America’s largest, before distribution throughout Canada and the eastern region of the US. The Port handled nearly 18 million boxes of Chilean fruit in the 2012-13 season a 22% increase over the previous season. This important trade supports over 900 family sustaining jobs and annually generates $49.5 million in personal income, $52.8 million in in business revenue and $4.9 million in tax revenue for the State and the region.
For more information:
Diamond State Port Corp.
Tel: +1 (302) 472-7820 (office)
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-29 Vietnam increases produce exports by train to China
- 2023-09-29 DP World welcomes new South America shipping service to its London Gateway logistics hub
- 2023-09-29 Samskip and Boluda Lines join forces to launch new Spain-Ireland-UK Service
- 2023-09-29 Argentina and Paraguay work to resolve waterway dispute
- 2023-09-29 Agri players held a planning meeting with the Western Cape Transnet Management team
- 2023-09-29 Drewry’s World Container Index down 5.1% this week
- 2023-09-29 “We showcased customizable fresh-keeping tablets at Fruit Logistica Asia”
- 2023-09-28 “We are dedicated to maintaining the cold chain for perishables travelling globally”
- 2023-09-28 Panama Canal Authority to reduce water charges in October
- 2023-09-28 MSC to take over 50 per cent of Renfe Mercancías
- 2023-09-28 Hapag-Lloyd: Cost inflation at 29%
- 2023-09-28 Inland haulage imports - Dry & reefers to Uganda and South Sudan via Mombasa
- 2023-09-27 Study claims that negative consequences for European container shipping will intensify
- 2023-09-27 Fresh Del Monte's logistics arm experiences 200 percent growth in three years
- 2023-09-27 Germany: "The federal government's plans for truck tolls are driving up inflation"
- 2023-09-27 China-Laos rail freight shipments significantly expanded in 2023
- 2023-09-26 Ethio-Djibouti Railway claimed to provide crucial economic benefits to the region
- 2023-09-26 Nigerian government moves to harness $250 billion air cargo business
- 2023-09-22 "In the future, it won't be in the interest of shipowners to stop in European ports anymore"
- 2023-09-20 JD Airlines launched inaugural international freighter route connecting China and Vietnam