- UK & IRL Avocado Trader
- Managing Director, UK
- Teelt Specialist Potplanten
- Sales Manager Bio / Netherlands
- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
Top 5 -yesterday
- Smallest Washington apple crop in more than 20 years
- Mexico and Peru became top berry producers in just 10 years
- "There is a high demand for large oranges and good quality clementines”
- South African exports feeling the squeeze
- Late Lunar New Year offers opportunity to expose brand to a lot of potential new customers
Top 5 -last week
- “I don’t know how blueberry farmers are going to survive”
- South African orange shipment reveals R75 million worth of cocaine
- Shelf-life extension technology reduces brown stems in grapes
- “Laser micro-perforated bags extend bananas' shelf life by three weeks”
- Blueberries will be the main focus at the next Macfrut
Top 5 -last month
-25% in Italy; -19% in Europe
Italian kiwi production forecast for 2012-2013, with data estimates for the northern hemisphere
In 2011, the Italian harvest was 471,870 tons and now the estimates are of 352,175 tons (-25%). The worst declines are expected in northern Italy (-75% in the Piedmont region, due to extensive damage from frost) and central Italy (-19% in Lazio, the main producing region, due to bacteria PSA. Here, the production will fall to 128,900 tons against 159,500 in 2011).
Table 1. The forecasts for the production of kiwifruit in Italy divided by regions.
Table 2. Forecasts for some minor varieties of kiwifruit in Italy
Production forecasts in the northern hemisphere (see table below), show an increase compared to 2011 only in Greece (+5%, 100,000 tons) and California (+15%, 30,950 tons). The total production in Europe in the 2012/13 season will be 19% lower than the previous year and a decrease of 15% compared to the average 2007-2011.
In Greece, the area dedicated to kiwi is gradually expanding from about 4,500 acres to more than 6,700 in 2011 (according to Eurostat). Production in Greece is characterized by a strong export that grows in tandem with the progression of the product range. It went from just over 30,000 tonnes in 2007 to 100,000 in 2011.
Overall, the non-EU European countries have absorbed almost 60% of total exports and the share continues to increase. The main importing country remains Russia (33% of the total), and Ukraine (9%) and Moldova (5%) and, in parallel, in 2011/12, shipments to the European Union countries contracted to 33 %.
Greece within the European Community focuses its exports to eastern countries: Romania (8%), Germany (6%), Bulgaria (5%). Significantly lower is the export other destinations.
Italy has exported 358,667 tons in 2011, up 7% compared to 2010. At an international level the bacterial epidemic that has affected 56% of the kiwi surface in New Zealand may have an impact in the medium and short-term. Italy mainly exports to EU countries (241,727 tons in 2011). Among non-European countries, Russia is the best customer (26,626 tons), followed by North America (+27%, 23,002 tons), South America (+51%, 19,177 tons), Middle East (+98 %, 17,789 tons), Africa (+133%, 10,857 tons) and Oceania (+12%, 6,413 tons).
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-08 100 coconut stakeholders join market orientation in Carmen
- 2022-12-08 Korean retailers promote exotic fruit
- 2022-12-08 Indian growers hopeful of a bumper crop
- 2022-12-08 Taiwan Technical Mission donates 3,500 pineapple slips to the Ministry of Agriculture
- 2022-12-08 “High demand will lead to shorter pomegranate season”
- 2022-12-08 Mango prices crash due to overlap from key growing regions
- 2022-12-08 NEPC seeks foreign market for Nigeria’s annual 31m metric tonnes of ginger
- 2022-12-07 “Lucky Golden Fruits” launched in celebration of Lunar New Year
- 2022-12-07 Fresh Del Monte unveils new line of carbon-neutral pineapples
- 2022-12-07 Excess fruit in the Caribbean finds a home in new ice cream line
- 2022-12-06 Dragon fruit production continues to grow out of Ecuador
- 2022-12-06 "The Valencian avocado is already available throughout the whole year"
- 2022-12-06 Peru could export pitahaya and aguaymanto to the United States next year
- 2022-12-06 Singapore Musang King Durians lowest price in 4 years
- 2022-12-06 Digging deep into Suriname’s pineapple belt transformation
- 2022-12-06 "Hongyang" kiwifruit from Dujiangyan, Sichuan continues to export to Thailand
- 2022-12-06 The new variety "Qinmi No. 9" has gradually become the dominant variety of passion fruit in Guangxi
- 2022-12-06 Garlic trade booming in Henan Province
- 2022-12-05 Tanzania follows Kenya in avocado exports to China
- 2022-12-02 Vandalism to kiwifruit vines causing high financial cost for grower, police say