- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Rainy run-up to the South African litchi harvest aids sizing
- Medicinal mushrooms the next big trend?
- "A month later, we've had to replant up to 27% of the strawberry plants"
- Freak hailstorm in Chile touches cherry, table grape and blueberry farms
- Western Australia’s pome industry said goodbye to two legends this month
Top 5 -last month
East Malling harvests table-top melons in UK climate change trial
The trial is investigating the production system at a commercial scale as UK growers respond to climate change. Nearly 1,000 melons of four varieties are currently being cultivated in table-top grow bags and some of these have now been harvested.
Graham Caspell, Commercial Farm Manager at East Malling, with the melons.
If the experiment is deemed a success, EMR scientists and farm staff will set about further testing, analysing and identifying melon varieties suitable for growing on table-top production in UK conditions. Early results from the work indicate that melons may be suitable as a catch-crop – before or after main crops of strawberry.
Peter Gregory, Chief Executive of East Malling Research, said: “As our climate continues to warm, so growers will be presented with significant crop production challenges. One option, as we seek to address the increasing issue of long-term food security, will be for growers to adapt their growing systems – including the development of novel crops.”
Graham Caspell, Commercial Farm Manager at East Malling, said: “We proved that we can grow melons in Kent after successfully growing more than 9,000 of them here last year.
“What we don’t yet know is if we can grow the crop more intensively using the table-top, grow bag method, which makes for easier picking and eliminates the possible damage caused to crops by soil-borne pests and diseases. It would be important to integrate melons within a wider fruit production system rather than consider them as being the main crop in an annual cycle.
“Kent could soon be the UK hub for novel fruits such as apricots, kiwifruit and melons, as climate change provides opportunities to grow fruits that supermarkets have traditionally sourced from other parts of the world.”
The melons are being grown in 150 metres of polytunnels as part of wider novel-crops trials funded by the East Malling Trust.
For more information:
East Malling Research
Tel: 0044 1732 523796
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-25 Aartsen: "Our branding key to growth in Asia"
- 2022-11-25 “Triple jumbo code” cherries kick off the Chilean crop
- 2022-11-25 Seven pear varieties tie for first place in consumer trial
- 2022-11-25 Dutoit opens new Cherry Time™ packhouse with a ‘cherrific’ crop
- 2022-11-25 The transporter's strike puts in check the transport of 25,000 tons of cherries in Chile
- 2022-11-25 New Zealand apple sales in China increase steadily every year
- 2022-11-25 Peruvian blueberry prices on world market lower despite 28% export growth
- 2022-11-25 Volume reduction of Chilean fresh blueberry exports less than projected
- 2022-11-25 Cape Town terminal exceeds weekly volumes as deciduous fruit season starts
- 2022-11-25 Chilean blueberries, a superfood consolidating in the world
- 2022-11-25 Joy Wing Mau celebrates first arrival of Chilean cherries by air
- 2022-11-25 Which will be the first Spanish supermarket chain to charge more for its apples?
- 2022-11-25 California Prune Board welcomes 0% tariffs on prune imports into the UK
- 2022-11-24 New Moroccan fruit exporters enter the European market
- 2022-11-24 Blackberries having a good year so far
- 2022-11-24 BC Tree Fruit growers force meeting over Lake Country plant closure
- 2022-11-24 Chilean cherry arrivals timed for early Chinese New Year's celebration
- 2022-11-24 Moldovan power outage had no severe impact on fruit packing operations
- 2022-11-24 "Quickly selling Gala and Golden Delicious could be good for stored apples like Jonagold"
- 2022-11-24 "Chinese cranberry production continues to increase"