- UK & IRL Avocado Trader
- Managing Director, UK
- Teelt Specialist Potplanten
- Sales Manager Bio / Netherlands
- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
Top 5 -yesterday
- Fruit tasting for terminal workers at Port of Cape Town
- How a New Zealand businessman established a successful cherry orchard from scratch by focusing on a niche
- Uncertainty ahead of Israeli citrus season
- New Zealand growers pulling out all the stops to attract workers
- “In Greece, we face increases up to 110-120% in our electricity bills”
Top 5 -last week
- “I don’t know how blueberry farmers are going to survive”
- South African orange shipment reveals R75 million worth of cocaine
- Shelf-life extension technology reduces brown stems in grapes
- “Laser micro-perforated bags extend bananas' shelf life by three weeks”
- Blueberries will be the main focus at the next Macfrut
Top 5 -last month
Italy: Relation between climatic parameters and PSA on gold kiwifruit
To establish possible relationships between some major climatic parameters and the occurrence of initial epidemics of "bacterial canker" of yellow-fleshed kiwifruit (Actinidia chinensis) in Latium region, climatic data (maximum, minimum and average temperature as well as rainfall) were recorded by weather stations established in the areas of yellow-fleshed kiwifruit cultivation and related to epidemiological investigations. A recent paper, issued by the Journal of Plant Pathology, reports on a study made in co-operation between the Consiglio per la Ricerca e la Sperimentazione in Agricoltura, Roma and Apofruit-Italia, Latina, on these aspects.
There is an obvious relationship between the frost events of 2007-2008 (i.e. November and February) and the first outbreaks of bacterial canker observed on A. chinensis. In the orchards, the first visible signs of the disease (i.e. leaf spotting) were observed in May-June 2008, as confirmed by isolations performed in that period, whereas the first signs of canker formation along the trunk and leader appeared in November-December 2008.
Click here to enlarge.
A clear-cut increase in bacterial canker spreading was also observed after the severe late frost of February 1st 2010, as well as after the frost events of winter 2010-2011. In addition, in 2008 the total precipitation in the kiwi-growing area of Latium was 1,210 mm, i.e. 30- 35% higher than the yearly average of 850-900 mm. In particular, October and November 2008 were very rainy, a condition that may have contributed either to the initial massive spread of Psa or to its rapid multiplication (i.e. canker formation) in the very susceptible A. chinensis cvs Hort16A and Jintao.
Centro di ricerca per la frutticoltura (Roma)
Via di Fioranello, 52
00134 - ROMA - Italy
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-08 Late Lunar New Year offers opportunity to expose brand to a lot of potential new customers
- 2022-12-08 Novel eating experiences from Israel’s Eden Gold pear, watermelon plum and plumegranate
- 2022-12-08 Only half of apple packs in major UK supermarkets are British
- 2022-12-08 'Grape imports from Peru became more important'
- 2022-12-08 Which state leads cranberry production?
- 2022-12-08 Mexico and Peru became top berry producers in just 10 years
- 2022-12-08 New hydrogel that delays fruit rot invented by Chilean researcher
- 2022-12-08 Watermelons harvest advanced due to rain in Bahia, Brazil
- 2022-12-08 "Varietal quality not yet aligned with optimal double production of raspberries"
- 2022-12-08 Moldova: Low stocks of export grapes in early 2023
- 2022-12-08 Limited crop of Winter Honeydew melons available early January
- 2022-12-08 Friday marks the first National Opal® Apples Day
- 2022-12-08 Stone fruit quality recovering after weather affected start to the season
- 2022-12-08 Smallest Washington apple crop in more than 20 years
- 2022-12-07 "Drought resulted in 40% less yield of Moldovan apples overall"
- 2022-12-07 Moroccan raspberries meet a flat demand
- 2022-12-07 Total volume of grapes in storage well down on last year
- 2022-12-07 Blueberry production progressing in Brazil
- 2022-12-07 “We’re looking at potential buyers in Asia and Africa”
- 2022-12-07 “In Greece, we face increases up to 110-120% in our electricity bills”