- Production Director Phalaenopsis - Taiwan
- Flower Grower - Canada
- Trader - Buyer Zachtfruit en Exoten
- (Junior) Account Manager France
- Installation Support Engineer (Supervisor)
- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Vegetable trade war between Botswana and South Africa escalates
- Europe puts a lid on organic orange production in South Africa
- "I have 400 tons of unsold grapes on the vines"
- Citrus exporter: Appeal to shipping lines met with “an arrogance that astonishes me”
- Faster avocado growing method developed by Israeli researchers
"Can't keep up with demand for Shiitake mushrooms"
UK company, Smithy Mushrooms specialise in Shiitake and Oyster and other Asian varieties. The Oyster and Shiitake are grown on-site in Ormskirk in controlled humidity tunnels.
"People are more willing to try different colours and textures of mushrooms these days. I think this is partly due to all the gastro programs on TV. In addition to the mushrooms we grow here we also have seasonal, wild varieties which we source from around the world when they are in season. At the moment shiitake is the fastest growing we can't grow enough to keep up with demand," explained Andy Evans from the company.
Mushroom kits are also becoming more popular and Smithy's have a nice selection available. "Some people still prefer the old growing kits," according to Andy. "But our kits are sold with a guarantee and we use the same substrate in the kits as we do in the tunnels."
Christmas sees a slight rise in demand for speciality mushrooms as people eat out more.
Smithy's produce around 7 tonnes of speciality mushrooms a week, supplying supermarkets and wholesale markets from Edinburgh to London.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-10-06 Shortages of organic zucchini and cucumber in the markets continues to drive prices up
- 2022-10-06 "Given the current energy crisis, expeditious marketing would be particularly beneficial this year"
- 2022-10-06 Pakistan vegetable prices go through the roof
- 2022-10-05 US tomato prices will probably go up due to Hurricane Ian
- 2022-10-05 More ginger available this year due to diminished demand from Eastern Europe
- 2022-10-05 Tomato prices in Uzbekistan still at record levels
- 2022-10-05 Habaneros grown in Kyoto Prefecture are being shipped out
- 2022-10-05 James Hall & Co. Ltd pumpkins have arrived in SPAR stores this week
- 2022-10-04 Vegetable prices are up in India as rain affects supply
- 2022-10-04 Indian exporters seek Goods and Services Tax extension on export ocean freight
- 2022-10-04 In the 2021/22 campaign, Spain broke its historical cucumber export volume, value, and price records
- 2022-10-04 Albanian vegetable imports increased by almost 46%
- 2022-10-04 “The inflationary context forces us to review the way we manage our companies”
- 2022-10-03 Iran: New duties on tomato and onion exports
- 2022-10-03 “Our wild mushrooms are the flagship product of the season”
- 2022-10-03 Enza Zaden, Vitalis have fruitful Summer Field Days
- 2022-10-03 “Good tastes like more”
- 2022-10-03 "The Kaizen method allows us to improve the percentage of plant utilization and the success of graft attachment"
- 2022-10-03 "Takeover means we can spread the risk in these very tough times"
- 2022-10-03 "Huge demand for new Portuguese sweet potato crop"