- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Quality Assurance Manager
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Area Sales Manager Benelux
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- ‘EU citrus ban due to false codling moth not politically motivated’
- Something sweet out of the bitterness of a citrus season gone awry
- GLOBAL MARKET OVERVIEW GARLIC
- "We have noticed that oranges are losing ground and mandarin consumption is on the rise"
- Consumers are buying more frozen vegetables because they are a healthy cheaper option
Top 5 -last month
- Vegetable trade war between Botswana and South Africa escalates
- Europe puts a lid on organic orange production in South Africa
- Citrus exporter: Appeal to shipping lines met with “an arrogance that astonishes me”
- Faster avocado growing method developed by Israeli researchers
- New potato disease found in North Dakota and Minnesota
China: Low garlic price good for export market
Prices for new season garlic are low, this is due to a large amount of last year's crop still in storage (130,000 tons) and yields are also up on last year. Harvesting started on 22 May.
According to Vivien Li from Heng Feng the size of the garlic bulbs is larger than last year, with few smaller than 4.5cm, 50% are 5.0-5.5cm and 30% are 5.5-6.0cm. "At present we estimate the increase of total yield at around 20% at least, in some sub-areas the production may increase 30%. The quality is very good especially in garlic sub-areas and new planting areas."
Some early harvested wet garlic has already been sold in the markets and the price is low. Li points out the similarity with the trend of 2011. "While the new garlic gets drier and drier, the price won’t see a big increase or even decrease this season as long as there are no special circumstances on the garlic market such as the actions of some big speculators and the garlic stock market."
On the other hand, garlic used for dehydration will be in great demand. The dehydrated garlic storage is less than 20,000 tons in the whole of China. Each year China export around 150,000 tons. It is estimated that one million tons of small size garlic will be used to produce dehydrated garlic this season.
This season should be a good year for garlic import. The export volume of Chinese garlic is estimated to increase by 30% against that of last year due to the low price and good quality.
For more information:
Hengfeng Fresh Produce Co., Ltd
Tel: +86 530 8275988
Mob: +86 182 540 55579
Fax: +86 530 8191288
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-30 Mexican avocados still a multi-billion dollar hit in the US
- 2022-09-30 Cerrado should become Brazil's fruit growing hub
- 2022-09-30 “Demand for pomegranates is at a higher level than last year”
- 2022-09-30 Salento Bio boasts 150 hectares of organic prickly pears
- 2022-09-29 Report highlights record growth in Mexican avocado imports
- 2022-09-29 California pomegranate season sees strong demand on shorter crop
- 2022-09-29 Kid-friendly fruit presentations on display at Fruit Attraction
- 2022-09-29 Lychees from different production areas experience different export conditions
- 2022-09-29 "Smaller-sized papayas sell better in the European market"
- 2022-09-29 VerdeDivo, the newest green kiwi will be presented at the Madrid fair by Alegra
- 2022-09-29 Australia's first tray of mangoes for the season sells for $20,000
- 2022-09-29 Prickly pears grown in greenhouses to reach the markets early
- 2022-09-29 Moroccan govt ends subsidies on avocado, watermelon, and citrus fruit cultivation
- 2022-09-29 Peak of Indian pomegranate season is over
- 2022-09-28 Indian garlic exports up more than 90% in first quarter as China imposes curbs
- 2022-09-28 “Demand for the Wonderful variety pomegranates is high right now”
- 2022-09-28 ICAR scientists complete pomegranate genome sequencing
- 2022-09-28 "The fruit was unable to reach a greater size because of the high summer temperatures day and night"
- 2022-09-28 Costa Rican pineapples see increased costs due to global inflation
- 2022-09-28 Huili pomegranate starts sales season