- Farm Manager greenhouse vegetable production – Vietnam
- COO Flower & Plant greenhouse production farm, Vietnam
- Sales Representative - Leamington (Ontario) Canada
- Assistant Production & Plant Health Manager
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Head of International Farming
- Sr. Productinnovatie (R&D) Engineer
- Aftersales Coördinator
- Maintenance Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- San Bernardino County, California, quarantined due to HLB detection in single citrus tree
- Package with avocados in different ripening stages launched
- Largest single-build greenhouse in North America nears completion
- “The violence is inherent to the regions, not to the avocados”
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL GINGER MARKET
US: Washington apple industry to help promote Apple Health for Kids insurance
Pink Lady America LLC will kick off its promotions for children’s coverage at a Healthy Kids, Healthy Families luncheon on Tuesday, August 7, at 11:30 a.m. in Yakima at the 4th Street Theatre, 14 S. Fourth Street.
No money is involved in the apple-kids partnership, which will include industry assistance in helping the program recruit uninsured low-income children – delivering Apple Health for Kids information to major growers and shippers willing to join the effort. Subsequent efforts may include projects like combining Apple Health for Kids messages with diet and nutritional information.
"The bottom line is reaching out to uninsured children and their families," said Health Care Authority Director Doug Porter. "Children are our future, and Washington State has a long tradition of making them and their health care one of our highest priorities."
In 2010, the state created the Apple Health for Kids program, which provides free health care for children in families below 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Level and low-premium coverage for families between 201 percent and 300 percent of the federal poverty index. Parents in the latter category also pay small monthly premiums for their children.
"When we happened upon the name 'Apple Health for Kids' attached to a state health insurance program our curiosity was of course elevated," says Alan Taylor, Pink Lady America marketing director. "Anytime we see children and apples linked together, with our efforts directed toward healthy eating for young people, we like to be a part of it."
"Health care coverage doesn’t just help when your children are sick," Taylor said. "It also covers preventative care like immunizations, physical exams, and dental check-ups."
Health Care Authority Director Porter said the apple growers’ interest was welcome. He said he hoped other Washington apple brands and orchards would join the effort.
"The fruit industry has a natural tie in not only with healthy diets. It also relies on a largely migrant and seasonal workforce, including many families that have trouble finding adequate children’s coverage in the private market," he said.
Taylor said he thought the promotion would be a valuable public service for Pink Lady American apple growers.
"We see this as a service to a great many parents with children in the fruit industry as it makes a lot of sense for them to have this coverage and to also be aware of the preventative elements of which they should be taking advantage."
"Like everyone, we are all parents and grandparents who have a stake in healthy children, and I know we were stunned to learn that there are thousands of Washington children who are eligible for this coverage right now but who have not applied for it."
"In many cases, their parents simply don’t realize they qualify and that the coverage is there, waiting for them."
For more information:
Tel: +1 509 961 9186
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-12-09 New cold store and logistics centre for Kivits-Goes, VGK Cool Logistics and ERP at Nieuw Reijerwaard
- 2019-12-09 Apeel & Nature's Pride debut longer lasting produce in Europe
- 2019-12-09 Lorenz Hartmann de Barros joins HLB Tropical Food
- 2019-12-09 New apple packing plant near Yakima
- 2019-12-06 New leadership for Feltracon
- 2019-12-06 Kuala Lumpur receives Australian refrigeration company
- 2019-12-06 "Having our own software means we can drive development"
- 2019-12-06 Alico, Inc. announces financial results for Fiscal Year 2019
- 2019-12-05 New name is a fusion of two Dutch growers co-ops
- 2019-12-05 Produce marketing veteran joins Starr Ranch Growers
- 2019-12-05 Lemonade Day and Limoneira Company establish 2-year charitable licensing agreement
- 2019-12-05 Sainsbury: Rhian Bartlett returns as Director of Fresh Food
- 2019-12-04 Increased capacity and efficiency of convenience production
- 2019-12-04 Pacific Produce transitions to Produce Pro Software
- 2019-12-04 California Table Grape Commission appoints new director of trade policy
- 2019-12-04 Mucci Farms sponsors Huron Memorial Stadium
- 2019-12-04 Photo report: Open day, Winter days at Wholesale Claessens
- 2019-12-04 "Partnership with melon grower, Agrolibano, in Honduras aligns perfectly with Brazilian season"
- 2019-12-04 Unica Group grows by 44% since the start of the campaign
- 2019-12-04 Spanish cooperative Vicasol inaugurates its new facilities in El Ejido