- Head of Sales
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US: Stonefruit helps with weight loss
Fruits and vegetables for weight loss
Dr. Luis Cisneros-Zevallos states that the compounds that are found in these stone fruits could help to combat metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome is a condition in which obesity and inflammation lead to a multitude of other serious health conditions.
He states that stone fruits contain phenolic compounds that have anti-obesity, anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic properties and may also reduce the oxidation of bad cholesterol (LDL) which is associated with cardiovascular disease.
He states that these fruits are unique because the mixture of the bioactive compounds in the fruit works at the same time within different components of the disease – including obesity, inflammation, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
The stone fruits studied in the current research all contain a minimal amount of calories and are considered healthy food options. A plum contains about 30 calories. In addition to having minimal calories, plums also contain calcium, potassium, copper, zinc, vitamin A, vitamin C and vitamin K. All of these additional components make it a nutritious, healthy food.
Another healthy food that this study mentions is a peach. A medium sized peach contains about 58 calories as well as calcium, niacin, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, vitamin C and vitamin A.
A medium sized nectarine contains approximately 62 calories as well as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin K. In general, fruits and vegetables contain modest amounts of calories and can be consumed regularly as part of a healthy diet.
Funding for the studies of health benefits of stone fruit are funded by the California Tree Fruit Agreement, The California Plum Board, the California Grape and Tree Fruit League and the Texas Department of Agriculture.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2014-07-31 Spain: Calanda peaches could reach record harvest
- 2014-07-30 Argentina: Cherry production increases in the valleys
- 2014-07-29 Germans harvest almost 40% more cherries than last year
- 2014-07-28 Dutch greenhouse cherries: quality can take on competition of outdoor cultivation
- 2014-07-25 Germany expects rebound on cherry production
- 2014-07-24 Spain: Murcia's peach harvest 30% greater this year
- 2014-07-23 Germany: decreasing apricot prices
- 2014-07-22 Stonefruit hard work for Washington growers
- 2014-07-21 Swiss apricot season to be ''exceptional''
- 2014-07-18 Spain: FEPEX seeking European-wide solutions to falling stonefruit prices
- 2014-07-17 Turkey takes Greece’s place as China’s cherry supplier
- 2014-07-16 Brazilian scientists develop new sweet cherry variety
- 2014-07-16 Afrucat: Attacks in Perpignan were tantrums of Gallic sector because of difference in quality
- 2014-07-15 Greece: Peach oversupply driving prices down
- 2014-07-14 Spain: Catalan cooperatives confirm good performance of stonefruit exports
- 2014-07-11 New harvest of pluots gains ground on popularity
- 2014-07-11 New REGAL'IN™ season started
- 2014-07-10 Russian market interesting for Spanish stonefruit in coming weeks
- 2014-07-09 "The best apricots come from France"
- 2014-07-08 "Increasing preference for domestic cherries in Dutch retail"