- Lighting Applications Specialist - Beamsville (Ontario) Canada
- Senior Product Manager Young Plants
- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Soft Fruit
- IPM Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Human Resources Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Assistant Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Head Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- General Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Greenhouse Installation Specialist - Hallam, Victoria, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
US: Banana sugars healthier than sports drinks
"We wanted to see which was more beneficial when consumed during intense cycling - bananas or a carbohydrate sports drink," said Dr. David C. Nieman, director of the human performance lab and a member of the College of Health Sciences faculty at Appalachian.
"We found that not only was performance the same whether bananas or sports drinks were consumed, there were several advantages to consuming bananas," he said.
The bananas provided the cyclists with much more than the required energy that the sports drinks imparted. first there is the increased nutritional benefits, such as fibre, potassium and Vitamin B6, plus antioxidants. In addition to this though, the energy that bananas released comes from sugars that are far healthier than those found in sports drinks.
For the study, trained cyclists consumed either a cup of carbohydrate drink or half a banana every 15 minutes during a 75-kilometer simulated road race lasting 2.5 to 3 hours. Blood samples taken from the cyclists before and after the exercise were analyzed at the NCRC Metabolomics Laboratory for more than 100 metabolites - molecules associated with metabolism.
"Bananas come prepackaged with fiber, nutrients and antioxidants," said Nieman, adding the research translates to any exercise.
"The mode of exercise is not the issue. I think there are a lot of athletes who don't like the thought of drinking carbohydrate sports drinks, which are essentially flavored sugar water," he said. "This type of research shows that you can have healthier carbohydrate sources before and after exercise that will support athletic performance just as well as a sports drink," Nieman said.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-04-24 China: End of banana production in Yunnan as supply from Hainan increases
- 2019-04-24 China and Cambodia organize conference for the first export of Cambodian bananas to China
- 2019-04-24 A second life for plant waste generated by Canary bananas
- 2019-04-24 Philippines: Basilan to set up 1,000-hectare banana farm
- 2019-04-23 Fyffes donates thousands of bananas to cancer fundraiser participants
- 2019-04-19 The quest to save the banana from extinction
- 2019-04-18 Dutch supermarket Plus will use blockchain technology to map banana supply chain
- 2019-04-17 Vietnam: Hoang Anh Gia Lai Agrico profits from bananas
- 2019-04-16 Philippines: Unusual weather damages Kidapawan banana plantations
- 2019-04-16 "We have reduced water use by 33% and increased banana production by 7%"
- 2019-04-16 Banana supply declines during Thai New Year
- 2019-04-16 Turkey expands banana exports to the Maldives
- 2019-04-16 Philippines: Banana coop to supply Eastern Europe
- 2019-04-15 China: Sudden hailstorm hits banana production in Xishuangbanna
- 2019-04-15 Bananatex: New fabric to replace polyester
- 2019-04-12 Ecuadorian banana exports to Europe fell by 11%
- 2019-04-12 China allows import of Cambodian bananas
- 2019-04-12 US banana prices in Jan-Feb 2019 match those of last year
- 2019-04-11 Ice cream made from overripe bananas
- 2019-04-10 "The world needs smart bananas"