- Want to grow your business?
- Gartenbaumeister (Deutschland) - Niederrhein
- Group Chief Operating Officer
- Allround Medewerker Bedrijfsbureau - Est, Nederland
- General Manager Fresh Produce Manufacturing - Tasmania (Australia)
- Head Grower - Mason City (Iowa) USA
- Integrated Crop Management (ICM) Technician - Olds (Alberta) Canada
- Hoofd Engineering - Gameren, Nederland
- Manager Operations - Gameren, Nederland
- Master Vegetable - Flower Grower
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "We are the first organic citrus company to pack 100% without plastic"
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Biggest problem facing avocado sector in coming years will be supply, not demand
- Clearing the rubble in Spain after the severe weather; leafy vegetable shortages a sure thing in the winter"
- Severe weather in Spain has disastrous local effects
US: Banana sugars healthier than sports drinks
"We wanted to see which was more beneficial when consumed during intense cycling - bananas or a carbohydrate sports drink," said Dr. David C. Nieman, director of the human performance lab and a member of the College of Health Sciences faculty at Appalachian.
"We found that not only was performance the same whether bananas or sports drinks were consumed, there were several advantages to consuming bananas," he said.
The bananas provided the cyclists with much more than the required energy that the sports drinks imparted. first there is the increased nutritional benefits, such as fibre, potassium and Vitamin B6, plus antioxidants. In addition to this though, the energy that bananas released comes from sugars that are far healthier than those found in sports drinks.
For the study, trained cyclists consumed either a cup of carbohydrate drink or half a banana every 15 minutes during a 75-kilometer simulated road race lasting 2.5 to 3 hours. Blood samples taken from the cyclists before and after the exercise were analyzed at the NCRC Metabolomics Laboratory for more than 100 metabolites - molecules associated with metabolism.
"Bananas come prepackaged with fiber, nutrients and antioxidants," said Nieman, adding the research translates to any exercise.
"The mode of exercise is not the issue. I think there are a lot of athletes who don't like the thought of drinking carbohydrate sports drinks, which are essentially flavored sugar water," he said. "This type of research shows that you can have healthier carbohydrate sources before and after exercise that will support athletic performance just as well as a sports drink," Nieman said.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-10-11 'Holidays and vacations slowed down the demand almost everywhere'
- 2019-10-11 TR4-tolerant banana cultivar replanted on infected northern Mozambique farm
- 2019-10-11 3,000 containers of bananas in Ecuador can't be shipped due to protests
- 2019-10-11 Europe shows its support for the banana community
- 2019-10-11 Exporter optimistic about prospects of Cambodian banana exports to China
- 2019-10-10 No changes in US banana prices during summer months
- 2019-10-10 China: Banana prices stable after holiday, slight rise in some production areas
- 2019-10-09 Tropical storm Narda wreaks havoc on Mexican banana plantations
- 2019-10-09 Cameroon banana exports rose by 3,200 tons in September 2019
- 2019-10-09 Jamaican banana & plantain industries on alert
- 2019-10-09 "Bananas from South East Asia flooding China market"
- 2019-10-08 New advertising campaign will demonstrate how to pronounce Fyffes
- 2019-10-08 Banana killer threatens Israeli plantations
- 2019-10-08 Tons of British-grown fruit wasted over EU worker shortages
- 2019-10-08 Philippines’ banana grower Tadeco faces biosecurity risk
- 2019-10-08 Japan produces edible-skin bananas and some grown at -60°C
- 2019-10-08 Ukraine: Increased banana imports by 14%
- 2019-10-08 Ecuador Banana bacterial diseases alert: Moko & bunchy top
- 2019-10-07 How do Americans like their bananas?
- 2019-10-07 Fairtrade product sales increased by 61% in Spain in 2018