- Africa Fruit Export Sales Manager (Africa Division)
- Fruit Export Junior Sales Manager (Europe Division)
- Horticulture Production Manager
- Farm Manager (Cherries) - BC, Canada
- Lead of Irrigation - Warren, MI USA
- Grower / Head Grower Canada
- Sales agents / representatives
- Tissue Culture Manager - Warren (MI) USA
- Sales Representative North America
- Senior Commercial Manager | Murcia, Spain | Fruit
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Anyone for a stoneless avocado?
- Critical juncture for lemons & grapefruit as soft citrus flies off the shelves
- "Large avocado volumes expected this summer"
- “The temperature contrasts in the mountains help make our blueberries unique”
- Amondel Pakkers revel in their new bespoke high-speed avocado packline
Top 5 -last month
US: Banana sugars healthier than sports drinks
"We wanted to see which was more beneficial when consumed during intense cycling - bananas or a carbohydrate sports drink," said Dr. David C. Nieman, director of the human performance lab and a member of the College of Health Sciences faculty at Appalachian.
"We found that not only was performance the same whether bananas or sports drinks were consumed, there were several advantages to consuming bananas," he said.
The bananas provided the cyclists with much more than the required energy that the sports drinks imparted. first there is the increased nutritional benefits, such as fibre, potassium and Vitamin B6, plus antioxidants. In addition to this though, the energy that bananas released comes from sugars that are far healthier than those found in sports drinks.
For the study, trained cyclists consumed either a cup of carbohydrate drink or half a banana every 15 minutes during a 75-kilometer simulated road race lasting 2.5 to 3 hours. Blood samples taken from the cyclists before and after the exercise were analyzed at the NCRC Metabolomics Laboratory for more than 100 metabolites - molecules associated with metabolism.
"Bananas come prepackaged with fiber, nutrients and antioxidants," said Nieman, adding the research translates to any exercise.
"The mode of exercise is not the issue. I think there are a lot of athletes who don't like the thought of drinking carbohydrate sports drinks, which are essentially flavored sugar water," he said. "This type of research shows that you can have healthier carbohydrate sources before and after exercise that will support athletic performance just as well as a sports drink," Nieman said.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-05-26 Canadian banana supplier wins Excellence in Producer Partnerships prize
- 2020-05-26 New report shows that banana sector is ready for more sustainabililty
- 2020-05-26 'Philippines set to become world's second-largest banana exporter in next nine years'
- 2020-05-26 'Banana-COVID' – Fusarium Wilt TR4 in India
- 2020-05-26 “Vietnamese banana price is at the bottom at the moment”
- 2020-05-26 Australia: Carnarvon banana growers and mid-west farmers seek storm compensation
- 2020-05-26 India: Winds damage banana crop in Gobichettipalayam
- 2020-05-26 Ecuadorian banana exports increased between January and March 2020
- 2020-05-25 The curfew in Peru impacts organic banana exports
- 2020-05-22 Ecuadorian banana exports increase during the first quarter of 2020
- 2020-05-21 Market in part of banana production areas in/around China picking up
- 2020-05-21 Peruvian organic banana exports continue despite the pandemic
- 2020-05-20 Hundreds of acres of bananas damaged in Tiruchy, Pudukai
- 2020-05-19 ‘Growers should report any banana disease’
- 2020-05-19 Australia's $600 mln banana industry to benefit from new quarantine facility
- 2020-05-19 Ecuadorian bananas sell for average price of £0.85 per kg
- 2020-05-18 Colombia: "This year we expect to export 44.7 million boxes of bananas and 3.3 million boxes of plantains"
- 2020-05-15 Ripening bananas in the oven
- 2020-05-15 "Oversupply causes too-low banana prices for the time of year"
- 2020-05-14 Banana business is booming in Northland, New Zealand