- Sales Coordination Manager - Geeste, Emsland, Germany
- Sales Representatives Horticultural Greenhouses - Mexico
- Head Grower/Agronomist - Cambridge, New Zealand
- Research Greenhouse Manager - Durham (New Hampshire) USA
- Customer Account Manager - New Milton, UK
- Head of Sales, Europe
- Innovation Leader - Crop Trials in Bologna, Italy
- Sales consultant for nursery and horticultural products - Australia
- Business Developer Soft Fruit
- Head Grower - Cathedral City, California USA
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Portugal: Huge crop losses due to frost and drought
The Association of Farmers of Faro and Surrounding Councils, which represents the majority of fruit and vegetable producers in the region, has said it is unhappy with government measures announced on Monday, adding that some of its members are on the verge of bankruptcy and despair.
The drought impact is confirmed by an official report dated March 13th, which states a 50% loss of greenhouse vegetables in the Algarve - especially in Faro and Olhão.
The report highlights the losses caused by frosts in the greenhouses to tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, beans and melon. in addition it says that open air crops such as broad beans, peas and potatoes have been affected. In relation to citrus fruit, the report says that the fall in production is "significant."
"I have lost 80 percent of my tomato plantation, which corresponds to a total loss because no one is going to water and pick the remaining 20 percent," said 44- year-old Paulo Cristina, who has six hectares of greenhouses on the outskirts of Faro.
With 120 tonnes of tomatoes lost, and with the selling price of tomatoes at 45 cents per kilogram, he calculates that he has lost €54,000, corresponding to half a year’s work.
Mr. Cristina awaits EU funds that have been promised by the Ministry of Agriculture, but says he is angry about the lack of available insurance to cover such events.
Similarly, the President of the Regional Agricultural Association, Ana Lopes, laments that insurance companies don’t provide policies adapted to each region, as "each area of the country is unique and has its own agriculture."
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-03-22 'Carrot market awaiting demand from washers'
- 2019-03-22 "This Easter, we will have a great asparagus harvest"
- 2019-03-22 China: Price of Heaven Facing peppers greatly increased
- 2019-03-22 Spain: "We are barely affected by price fluctuations"
- 2019-03-22 First curly endive of the season auction
- 2019-03-21 UK: Cost of growing mushrooms has increased recently
- 2019-03-21 Russia’s annual greenhouse tomato production reached 380 thousand tons
- 2019-03-21 Agrico looks towards Europe for export
- 2019-03-21 "Export price of Chinese garlic came down last week"
- 2019-03-21 Price of spinach in Beijing fell by 20% in one week
- 2019-03-21 Harvest Moon’s snacking carrots are a hit
- 2019-03-21 Campania: green asparagus and purple greenhouse asparagus now available
- 2019-03-21 Cauliflower and Romanesco broccoli volumes remain stable
- 2019-03-21 "There are currently no major quality issues in the trade"
- 2019-03-21 Official opening of the 2019 season of the White Asparagus of Bassano Pdo
- 2019-03-20 “Dutch celeriac market went seamlessly from oversupply to scarcity”
- 2019-03-20 Prognosis 2030: declining consumption of apples, peaches and nectarines
- 2019-03-20 "Recent Spanish bell pepper prices a thing of the past"
- 2019-03-20 Cucumbers: German harvest begins
- 2019-03-20 German radish season has begun in the Palatinate