Announcements

Job Offers

Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

Chile's avocado starts a new season with 14.4% less production due to frost

According to Mundoagro, Chile will produce 186,423 tons of avocado in the 2022/23 season, i.e. 14.4% less than the 217,000 tons it produced in the previous season. The reasons behind this decline are related to unfavorable weather conditions, such as the drought and, mainly, the frost that affected the crops during late May and early June.

According to estimates, 55% of the production will be destined for export, mainly to Western Europe, an area that has established itself as one of the main commercial destinations for Chilean avocados. The remaining 45% will go to the domestic market, positioning this as one of the main crops in the country that markets most of its production in Chile.

"We had a very complex winter due to frost, but the Chilean industry has demonstrated its enormous resilience and its high competitiveness. This is especially relevant if we consider that agriculture has been challenged by the local and global context, facing great freight and logistics costs, strong increases in the prices of production inputs, and the difficulties inherent to the drought," stated Jose Gabriel Correa, president of the Avocado Committee.

This season's projections were the result of fieldwork by the renowned consultancy iQonsulting, which specializes in preparing economic reports for the agro-industry.

 

Source: mundoagro.cl 


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber