"We need to explore destinations with high growth potential, such as the Netherlands"

Peru's pitahaya has export potential

The vice president of the Fruits and Vegetables Committee of the Association of Exporters (ADEX), Daniel Gonzalez Hernandez, stated that the pitahaya has potential abroad and urged all members of the public and private sectors to encourage and plan its cultivation.

Despite the pitahaya's adaptability to the climate, productive yields, and attractive prices in the international market, Peruvian shipments are small and not sustained. As of November 2021, they totaled $232,334 and only 3% was fresh, frozen, and dehydrated; the remaining 97% were pitahaya body creams, shampoo, and conditioner. According to data from the ADEX Data Trade Commercial Intelligence System, shipments of pitahaya and its derivatives mainly reached Ecuador, Bolivia, Colombia, the Netherlands, Aruba, Chile, France, Spain, and others.

"We need to explore destinations with high growth potential, such as the Netherlands, where consumers are willing to innovate and have great purchasing power," Gonzalez stated.

A pending issue is managing the health protocols to enter other markets, such as the United States. Julio Vivas Bancallan, the director of the Subdirectorate of Plant Quarantine of the National Agrarian Health Service of Peru (Senasa), said that the US health authority had already completed the pest risk analysis for these imports and that they were negotiating the phytosanitary requirements to be able to export this fruit to the US. "Then comes the regulatory process, a stage where the export requirements will be published," he said.

 

Source: agraria.pe 


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber