An Easter boost has been felt by some this week, particularly in the bags sector. However, for many, trade remains slow. A backlog of packing Whites continues this week, with quality a key factor for price and sale across the board. Planting is progressing nicely, as a result of the warm weather seen this week.
- Maris Piper and King Edwards are reportedly high in demand in free-buy packing markets.
- Maris Piper median prices have firmed slightly further, gaining an extra £5/t on the week.
- Most trade continues to be fulfilled on contract this week. As a result, free-buy Whites demand is said to be slow, with reports of plentiful supply. This is said to have added some pressure to prices, although not enough to alter the median.
- The easing of lockdown restrictions across England this week, alongside good weather seen by many, has energised some demand for chipping potatoes.
- Most reports were of busier trade this week, with the hope that this signifies the start of more buoyant trade to come.
- Top quality Agria continues to firm, as demand exceeds sparse supply.
- Markies have also firmed this week on the back of increased demand.
For more information: ahdb.org.uk