Growers claim Australia's Bravo apple is held back by cosmetic colour requirements

Some apple growers from Western Australia say stringent cosmetic colour requirements are strangling the success of the Bravo Apple. The variety was first released by the WA Government for commercial planting in 2014, was and developed to grow the state's apple industry by offering a unique, premium product and a new option for export markets.

Producer and pack house owner Vic Grozotis, who is based in Manjimup, claims it's become too difficult to make money from the crop, despite the product fetching a significant premium on supermarket shelves.

Grozotissaid he was at a crossroads and was deciding whether to regraft his trees into other varieties that were free to grow. The variety was first released by the WA government for commercial planting in 2014.

For the fruit to be sold under the Bravo label the fruit must meet a range of specifications including a distinct deep red colour on the skin. But Grozotis said current colour requirements were too high, and that meant a large percentage of fruit could not be sold as Bravo apples.

"Pack-outs are now significantly lower because of the colour requirement," he told abc.net.au. "There are some growers who are achieving high pack out but on average its about 60 per cent. The other 40 per cent is where the problem occurs. A lot of the fruit that has been downgraded is purely cosmetic."


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2020

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber