In the fruit and vegetable sector, there are two permanent trends with regard to customer wishes. On the one hand, fruit and vegetables should be produced and marketed as regionally as possible. On the other hand, more and more customers expect vegetarian products to be unpackaged. It does not always make sense to completely dispense with packaging in a feasible and sustainable way.
For this reason, PENNY and BIOhof Kirchweidach have jointly developed an innovative packaging solution for the Naturgut Bio Rispentomaten. The new packaging perfectly presents the high-quality product "regional organic tomato from Kirchweidach".
Managing director Florian Steiner with the new packaging
The packaging not only convinces with its valuable and noble design, but also offers many advantages in terms of functionality:
- Environmentally friendly and robust
- Excellent view of the product
- Reduced transport volume due to stackability
- A lot of product information
- Optimal protection of the product
- Very high impact and pressure resistance
- Cardboard - 100 % recyclable
- High-quality representation and presentation of the product in the market
- Easy handling from production to the kitchen
- Longer shelf life due to ideal breathability and avoidance of condensation
"I am very pleased that, together with Penny, we were able to successfully position this sustainable and environmentally friendly packaging concept on the market," says Florian Steiner, Managing Director of BIOhof Kirchweidach. The new packaging is now available in all 352 Penny stores in Bavaria and the surrounding area. Thus, Penny and BIOhof Kirchweidach together take an important step towards a future without plastic packaging.
Patricia Brunn, PENNY's Division Manager Ultrafresh - Fruit, Vegetables, Flowers, Plants, adds: "PENNY is pursuing a long-term sustainability strategy in which packaging plays a central role. We do not look at the topic in isolation, but always see it in the context of our fight against food waste. So we do not abandon packaging at the price of throwing away much more. I am therefore all the more pleased that we have developed a completely recyclable cardboard packaging for Naturgut Bio Rispentomaten."