Announcements

Job Offers





Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

Spain

Huelva's kaki campaign comes to a close with slight drop in the average price

According to Onubafruit, the second-grade cooperative that brings together five of the most important agricultural cooperatives in the province of Huelva (Costa de Huelva, Cobella, Cartayfres, SAT Condado and Freslucena), and which is one of the top three kaki producers and traders in the province, has closed this year's season in Huelva with a 6.97% drop in the production compared to last year, and 11.11% compared to the average of the last few campaigns. The average price has also fallen by ten cents per kilo.

The commercial director of Onubafruit, Carlos Esteve, said that the cooperative's kaki production in 2020 has stood at 8,000 tons, compared to last year's 8,600 and the 9,000 tons produced on average in previous campaigns. According to him, the price drop has been a consequence of the greater volume harvested this year in other producing areas of Spain, especially in the Region of Valencia, which accounts for 90% of the national production, and in Murcia, to a smaller extent.

According to Esteve, this has led to a drop in prices compared to previous campaigns, which has made it unfeasible to sell a good part of the less popular calibres (the smallest and the largest), which applies to both first and second class fruit. In fact, the price of these calibres has fallen "below the production costs."

Because of all this, Onubafruit's campaign "has been worse than last year's, but still acceptable for us, because we have managed to plan it well," said the commercial director of Onubafruit.

Onubafruit allocates 80% of its kaki production to the export market and the remaining 20% ​​to the domestic market. Esteve also highlighted the 30% increase in Huelva's kaki exports to China compared to the previous campaign. "This year, we have shipped about 400 tons of the fruit to China."

 

Source: huelvainformacion.es


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2020