Announcements

Job Offers



Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

Turkey exports pomegranates to the UK and Ukraine

Korkuteli, Antalya, a city in southern Turkey, exports the pomegranates that were kept in cold storage to the UK and Ukraine.

Over the past few years, the production of pomegranates have increased. Korkuteli district waits to the end of the season to export the pomegranates they have in cold storage.

"Antalya, particularly Dosemalti, Ciglik, Aksu, Serik, Manavgat, Finike, Kumluca and Fethiye districts grow pomegranates. We collect them after the harvest and put them in cold storages. Once the export season starts, we process pomegranates and export them to Europe and Russia. This year we started a bit earlier than usual," said pomegranate traders.

Traders pointed to the lack of knowledge among producers and said: "Nobody supports producers. If they were knowledgeable, production would have been at a higher standard. The system in exports is not working well either. Both production and exports need to be improved."

Pomegranate trader Mustafa Ozan said: "We process 350 to 400 tons of pomegranates and send them mainly to the UK. Antalya pomegranates are consumed in the UK and Ukraine these days."

Cold storage owner Ogun Tas said: "The world knows about "Turkish pomegranates". In the Turkish fruits sector, pomegranates occupy a special place. Pomegranates are easy to take care of and can adapt to various climate and soil conditions. Now, we export 60 tons of pomegranates per week to Russia, Ukraine, Romania and the UK. 75% of pomegranates are exported to Europe and the remaining 25% are exported to Russia. We aim to further expand the production of pomegranates and increase exports."

 

Source: IHA


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2020

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber