CPMA wishes to congratulate all newly-appointed federal Cabinet ministers, set to lead Canada’s 43rd Parliament.
CPMA looks forward to working with the new Cabinet, including the re-appointed Minister of Agriculture and Agri-food, Marie-Claude Bibeau, to raise awareness of the importance of our sector and to address the key priorities of Canada’s fresh fruit and vegetable industry, including:
- Securing financial protection for produce sellers;
- Ensuring access to labor;
- Reducing the use of unnecessary and problematic plastics;
- Developing an agriculture and agri-food data strategy;
- Bolstering Canada’s crop protection toolbox;
- Expanding access to export trade markets;
- Supporting small businesses through the Small Business Deduction;
- Harmonizing spring weight restrictions across the provinces; and
- Implementing a whole-of-government National Food Policy, led by the Canadian Food Policy Advisory Council.
CPMA will continue to advocate for our members’ interests and looks forward to meeting with incoming Ministers and other Parliamentarians, including at our upcoming 2020 Farm to Plate event in February, as well as our 2020 Fall Harvest event in November.