- Want to grow your business?
- Gartenbaumeister (Deutschland) - Niederrhein
- Group Chief Operating Officer
- Allround Medewerker Bedrijfsbureau - Est, Nederland
- General Manager Fresh Produce Manufacturing - Tasmania (Australia)
- Head Grower - Mason City (Iowa) USA
- Integrated Crop Management (ICM) Technician - Olds (Alberta) Canada
- Hoofd Engineering - Gameren, Nederland
- Manager Operations - Gameren, Nederland
- Master Vegetable - Flower Grower
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "We are the first organic citrus company to pack 100% without plastic"
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL AVOCADO MARKET
- Biggest problem facing avocado sector in coming years will be supply, not demand
- Clearing the rubble in Spain after the severe weather; leafy vegetable shortages a sure thing in the winter"
- Severe weather in Spain has disastrous local effects
India: Garlic lowers blood pressure in hypertensive patients
Researchers reviewed various published articles on the effect of garlic on high blood pressure. Publications between 1955 and 2007 were included in the study. The researchers analyzed relevant information provided in the studies. A total of 11 studies were carefully selected and included in the analysis. Most of the studies used 600 to 900 mg of garlic powder per day, which provide 3.6–5.4 mg of allicin, an active component of garlic that helps to reduce blood pressure. The analysis showed that garlic appears to have an effect in reducing systolic and diastolic blood pressure in hypertensive patients as compared to those not taking garlic. Patients with high blood pressure at the beginning of the study showed a better effect as compared to those who did not have a high blood pressure at the beginning. In fact, the blood pressure lowering effects of garlic may be comparable to other drugs used for high blood pressure like beta – blockers, ACE inhibitors and angiotensin II type 1 receptor antagonists.
Garlic may cause reduction in blood pressure by relaxing blood vessels and interfering with the function of angiotensin I (an enzyme which plays a role in the development of high blood pressure). It may also exert an indirect effect by reducing cholesterol and breaking down clots in the blood vessels. Most of the studies included in the analysis were conducted for a short duration of around 12 to 23 weeks. Trials lasting for a longer duration are required to establish the long-term benefits of garlic in hypertension. Using standardized garlic preparations could possibly help to establish the relationship between garlic and blood pressure even better. Garlic preparations have several advantages over raw garlic. They help in avoiding the odor of garlic and thus prevent bad breath. They also prevent damage of the active compounds during the cooking process. Garlic could thus possibly be useful in the future to improve the effectiveness of antihypertensive medications. At the same time, it may help to keep the dosage of the medications under control, thus reducing the possibility of side effects.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-10-11 Prices of plantains skyrocket due to drought and tornadoes
- 2019-10-11 New Zealand avocado lovers buy 26,000 avos in one week from Vegeland
- 2019-10-11 Record for air-freighted pineapples broken
- 2019-10-11 Maui family grows world record avocado
- 2019-10-11 "Mangoes tell us when they are ready to be harvested through their color and firmness"
- 2019-10-11 Lively demand and low volumes for persimmons
- 2019-10-10 The avocado industry has been going through a "golden era"
- 2019-10-10 Mexico: Farmers in Chihuahua replace marijuana with avocados
- 2019-10-10 Cambodia seeks support for Japanese for mango shipments
- 2019-10-09 Retail sales of avocados increasing by 72 per cent each year in China
- 2019-10-09 "Nice demand and a healthy supply of pomegranates"
- 2019-10-09 Fruit and vegetable export figures from Vietnam slip
- 2019-10-09 “Developments in Colombia allow us to supply year-round”
- 2019-10-09 Mangoes and avocados, the target of thieves in Malaga
- 2019-10-09 West Pak Avocado partners with Fairtrade America
- 2019-10-09 South Africa’s dwarf avocado trees
- 2019-10-09 Lower persimmon volumes expected in Emilia-Romagna
- 2019-10-08 Peak of Brazilian mango shipments to US approaching
- 2019-10-08 Vietnam tries to get US export licence for avocados
- 2019-10-08 Ekumfi Pineapple Factory in Ghana will start operations within weeks