Peru expects its grapes will reach Japan this year

Peruvian table grapes reach more than 80 countries and this year they willalso be arriving in Japan, according to the estimates of the general manager of the Association of Producers of table grape of Peru (Provid), Carlos Zamorano, who added that he expects the markets of Chile, Argentina, and the Philippines would soon be opened for the country's table grapes.

Peru has around 50 varieties of table grapes, but "it will depend on the authorities of Japan - which are working in coordination with the National Agrarian Health Service (SENASA) of Peru - to determine how many of these varieties can enter their country," Mr Zamorano stated.

The most requested varieties in the international market are the Red Globe variety, which continues to be the most important variety despite its decrease in demand, and the red, white, and black seedless grapes. In Asia, demand for the Red Globe variety continues to predominante.

The 2018-2019 campaign is about to conclude and, according to Provid estimates, it will close with 47,000,000 boxes of 8.2 kilograms of table grapes. 98% of this production is destined for export and the remaining 2% does not qualify for this purpose.

The main grape producing departments are Ica, Piura, Lambayeque, La Libertad, Arequipa, and Ancash. However the rains registered in several of these departments have not coincided with their campaign period, which starts in the country in August and ends in December, in the north and at the latest in March in the rest of the country.

The estimated production for this campaign represents a recovery of 40% with respect to the previous campaign (2017-2018), which was affected by El Niño phenomenon. However, production grew by 23% when compared to the last season of normal conditions (2016-2017), Zamorano stated.

This growth is the result of the better results provided by the change of cultivated varieties in the country, he said, as well as an increase in cultivation areas, which went from 17,000 to about 20,000 in the current campaign. "There is growth in areas and productivity, which is showing how the market is responding to the varieties we export," he added.

Source: gestion.pe


Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2019

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber