Job Offers

Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month

Norway: Customer finds needle in banana

This Thursday, grocery store workers were being urged to pay extra attention to the fresh fruit and vegetables they handle, after a customer at a Coop store in Sarpsborg found a needle in a banana. It’s the first time such an incident has been reported in Norway.

“All of our stores are under video surveillance, so we will check our tapes,” Harald Kristiansen, communications chief for the Coop chain, told state broadcaster NRK. “We also know when the bananas were bought and when we got them into the store.”

Local newspaper Sarpsborg Arbeiderblad had already reported that customer Madeléne Leidland bought the banana at her local Coop, which reported the incident to the police. When she cut it up the next day to eat it for breakfast, she was pricked by the needle that was sticking out of the banana.

Needles found in strawberries and bananas sparked fears all over Australia this past autumn, until a woman in her 50s was arrested and charged with tampering with food. She faces 10 years in prison. A toddler in Sweden was also recently rushed to hospital after eating a banana with several needles in it.


Publication date:


Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

© 2019

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber