Announcements

Job Offers

Specials more

Top 5 -yesterday

Top 5 -last week

Top 5 -last month



Spain leads the European citrus market

The citrus production in the 2018/2019 campaign, which started just a few weeks ago and will last until May or June, is expected to reach around 7,292,692 tons. This entails an increase of 14.2% compared to the previous year, according to official data from both regional and national administrations.

By regions, Valencia, Andalusia and Murcia will continue being the leading producers of Spanish citrus. The Region of Valencia, which expects to reach 3,894,543 tons, is largely responsible for the increase expected, as its production is growing by around 23% compared to the previous season. For its part, Andalusia and the Region of Murcia have revealed figures close to 2,212,016 and 963,375 tons, respectively.

These data, which confirm Spain's leadership in the production of citrus fruits, will lead to an increase in the volume devoted to the production of juices and nectars. Each year, around 25% of the total volume goes to the processing industry, while the other 75% is marketed fresh.

The production of oranges and small citrus fruits will account for most of the total volume this campaign (83.4%), followed by lemons (15.2%), grapefruit (1.1%) and, to a lesser extent, other citrus fruits (0.3%). Lemon (+19.4%) and small citrus fruits (+18.5%) will achieve the most growth compared to the previous season.

Spain, also a leader in the juices and nectars sector
Spain is the leading exporter of juices and nectars in the European Union, with a total of 775,672 tons in 2017 worth 730.63 million Euro, according to data from the Ministry of Industry, Trade and Tourism.

Orange juice continues to lead the ranking of exports, with 210.47 million Euro in turnover last year. The juices of other citrus fruits generated 110 million Euro. France, Germany, the United Kingdom and Portugal are still the main destinations for Spanish juices and nectars.

 

Source: revistaaral.com


Publication date :


Print   

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


© FreshPlaza.com 2018