- Lighting Applications Specialist - Beamsville (Ontario) Canada
- Senior Product Manager Young Plants
- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Soft Fruit
- IPM Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Labor Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Human Resources Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Assistant Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Head Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- General Manager - Morehead (KY) USA
- Greenhouse Installation Specialist - Hallam, Victoria, Australia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Rhubarb productivity increased with ULMA packaging equipment
Mockbeggar’s growers produce around 435 tonnes of rhubarb per annum which is now being packed by ULMA’s Sienna flowrapper at a rate of up to 3,500 packs a day during the peak season in March and April.
Joao Estanqueiro Le, Mockbeggar’s Pack House Manager, says the packaging process of the fruit, which can come in random lengths, has been transformed since the Sienna was installed. What used to take a whole day of manual labour is now ready for shipping to Mockbeggar’s customers, which include many of the major high street stores, in half that time.
He added: “We did compare suppliers but knew of ULMA and went to see their machines in action. We liked the robust construction and ease of operation. The equipment has made a huge difference to our productivity and their after-sales service is also excellent. We would go to ULMA again if in the market for packaging machinery and I would recommend them to other companies.”
ULMA offers the Sienna in both flowrap and shrink wrap versions for loose, irregular shaped products in polypropylene or polyolefin films. It has a touch screen operation with multi-product memory which means that changeovers can be made quickly and simply at the press of a button. The machine also benefits from ‘no product - no bag’ and ‘misplaced product detection’ systems, as well as working with clear and printed film.
According to ULMA retailers are demanding that suppliers in the fresh produce industry not only have packaging systems in place that protect the integrity of goods and offer excellent presentation, but can also accelerate the process of getting them to stores as well as prolong shelf life, which the company believes they have been able to deliver.
For more information:
Tel: +44 (0)1909 506 504
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-04-19 Schur®Star Zip-Pop Bag wins Packaging Innovation Award
- 2019-04-18 Move from cups and shakers to small bags for snack mini tomatoes
- 2019-04-17 Sealing the future for automated tray and flow wrap packing
- 2019-04-16 Trend for less packaging material offers new opportunities for suppliers
- 2019-04-15 How to efficiently classify blueberries?
- 2019-04-12 "The key was a reliable system that produced the same package time and time again cost effectively."
- 2019-04-11 Inprinting of preprinted films is trending in soft fruit
- 2019-04-10 How to accentuate freshness with your packaging choices
- 2019-04-09 UK: Fieldwork Robotics wins funding to accelerate development of fruit-picking robot
- 2019-04-08 Trends in packaging: recycling, fewer and alternative materials
- 2019-04-05 Italy: Asparagus and strawberry harvesting machines
- 2019-04-04 What it means for mechanical engineering as in Palletizing?
- 2019-04-03 “Our perforated windows are unique, 100% recyclable, and move faster through the packer”
- 2019-04-02 Sealed pack Ozone treatment kills moulds, yeast and human pathogens
- 2019-04-01 Extraction solution for potato and onion packer, Awex, in Poland
- 2017-08-31 Rhubarb productivity increased with ULMA packaging equipment
- 2017-08-30 Researchers use Plasma-Processed air to boost fresh cut shelf life
- 2017-08-29 Ghana fresh cut pineapple exports earned $53m in 2016
- 2017-08-28 ABL spa funds research on the effects of processing machinery on fruit quality
- 2017-08-25 Freshtime Five in the running for national recognition