- Managing Director - Holland
- Farm Manager - Abu Dhabi
- Farm Manager greenhouse vegetable production – Vietnam
- COO Flower & Plant greenhouse production farm, Vietnam
- Sales Representative - Leamington (Ontario) Canada
- Assistant Production & Plant Health Manager
- Commercial Manager | Huelva, Spain | Soft Fruits
- Head of International Farming
- Sr. Productinnovatie (R&D) Engineer
- Aftersales Coördinator
Top 5 -yesterday
- "Hydroponics help us guarantee constant soft fruit supply"
- Final hurdle removed for bananas in fresh-cut industry
- Namibia will expropriate white-owned farms with ‘fair compensation’
- Anti-microbial tech for extending shelf-life gets USDA grant
- "We're able to finance growers and buyers on our trade platform"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Ugandan scientists develop technique to allow mango production in off-season
Gabriel Ddamulira, the lead researcher, told Xinhua in an interview recently that a reagent, also known as flower inducer-potassium nitrate, is applied on the mango plant one month before and after regular mango flowering periods. This allows mangoes to flower again and will ensure production in the off-season.
Ddamulira said preliminary experiments have shown positive results, noting that studies will be concluded by the end of this year.
"This research work will boost farmers' incomes and livelihoods given that the price of mangoes doubles during the off-season period due to scarcity," he said.
"Production of off-season mangoes will heighten Uganda's regional competitiveness as the country will be able to tap into the growing regional demand even when mangoes are out of season," he added.
According to figures from the Ministry of agriculture Uganda produces 875,000 metric tonnes of mangoes annually and imports around 1,537 metric tonnes.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-12-11 The decline in the price of Spanish kakis: bubble or strategy?
- 2019-12-11 Ghanaian advocacy improve pineapple yields Ekumfi
- 2019-12-10 Chilean Hass exports into the EU dominate Latin American shipments
- 2019-12-10 Mexico remains world's largest avocado exporter
- 2019-12-10 What's the difference between a kaki and a Persimmon?
- 2019-12-10 Vietnam: Off-season dragon fruit fetches high prices
- 2019-12-10 Namibia: Mango ban outrages Zambezi fruit traders
- 2019-12-10 New Zealand: Northland iwi starts planting avocado orchard
- 2019-12-09 Avocado industry Western Australia is experiencing significant growth
- 2019-12-09 Mexico, the new destination for Peruvian mango
- 2019-12-09 Intercropping of mangoes catching on in Andhra Pradesh
- 2019-12-09 Kenya: Murang'a county to protect avocado growers
- 2019-12-09 Australian project will explore alternative avocado pollinators
- 2019-12-09 Study on consumer attitudes towards new mango varieties
- 2019-12-06 Supplies of Caribbean Red Papaya up
- 2019-12-06 Rouses Markets attempts ‘world’s largest avocado display’
- 2019-12-06 "The Avo Effect" phenomenon catalogued in video series
- 2019-12-06 “The violence is inherent to the regions, not to the avocados”
- 2019-12-06 China targeted by Cambodian mango exporters
- 2019-12-05 This year's Alphonso mangoes came from Malawi