- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical Sales Agronomist - Switzerland
- International Retail Account Manager Fruit
- (Senior) Sourcing Manager Fruit
- Territory Account Manager - Texas, Colorado, and the Toronto/Niagara area of Canada
- National Development Manager, Bravo(TM) Apples - Australia
- Greenhouse Head Grower and Manager - Canada
- Greenhouse operations manager - Canada
- Sales Representative - Canada
- Product Specialist, Indoor Hydroponics - United States
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Citrus harvest in Spanish Region of Valencia to fall by 30%
- Enormous, but strange avocado
- Will Asia Fruit Logistica take place in September? Trade show organization offers participants option in December
- Avocado market expected to tighten in coming weeks
- "India can have its place in the avocado growing industry"
Ugandan scientists develop technique to allow mango production in off-season
Gabriel Ddamulira, the lead researcher, told Xinhua in an interview recently that a reagent, also known as flower inducer-potassium nitrate, is applied on the mango plant one month before and after regular mango flowering periods. This allows mangoes to flower again and will ensure production in the off-season.
Ddamulira said preliminary experiments have shown positive results, noting that studies will be concluded by the end of this year.
"This research work will boost farmers' incomes and livelihoods given that the price of mangoes doubles during the off-season period due to scarcity," he said.
"Production of off-season mangoes will heighten Uganda's regional competitiveness as the country will be able to tap into the growing regional demand even when mangoes are out of season," he added.
According to figures from the Ministry of agriculture Uganda produces 875,000 metric tonnes of mangoes annually and imports around 1,537 metric tonnes.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-08-20 Pineapple prices skyrocket due to slim supplies from Costa Rica
- 2019-08-20 Brazilian mangoes to ship early this year
- 2019-08-19 Spain: "Excellent prospects for Rojo Brillante kakis"
- 2019-08-19 Hass avocado supply to EU is now winding down
- 2019-08-16 Avocado marketer to bring Colombian avocados to US
- 2019-08-16 Colombia could produce 1.18 million tons of pineapple in 2019
- 2019-08-16 Tropical fruits new alternative for Turkish farmers
- 2019-08-16 Commercial distribution of 'Chenab Gold' begins
- 2019-08-15 Genetic research could stop avos going brown
- 2019-08-15 Millennials spent $453 million on avocados last year
- 2019-08-14 Avocado market expected to tighten in coming weeks
- 2019-08-13 Avocado buying experiences influence SA consumers’ store choice and spend
- 2019-08-12 "We have not seen such high prices for large pineapples in years"
- 2019-08-09 Study suggests promotional programs helped increase avocado demand
- 2019-08-09 Malaysia: Durian exporters see spike in demand from China
- 2019-08-09 Fiji to create more fruit orchards to boost economy
- 2019-08-09 Enormous, but strange avocado
- 2019-08-09 Spain: Five reasons for subtropical crops to be fashionable
- 2019-08-08 Supply of greenskins from Peru still somewhat lower than in 2018
- 2019-08-08 Malaysian entrepreneur earns US$1.91 million a month by selling fruits