- Account Manager
- Lead IoT Engineer - KAUST near Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- Quality Assurance System Manager
- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
New carrot handling facility at Poskitts set to be the UK's most advanced
Designed to incorporate the latest optical sorting equipment, the new carrot handling facility is currently being installed on-site at M H Poskitt Ltd in Goole, East Yorkshire, and is set to offer fully automated sorting of Poskitts' over 1000 tons of carrots each week.
The new Tong carrot sorting facility will handle Poskitts washed carrot crop and is designed and built over two levels, incorporating a specially designed mezzanine floor to ensure the complete sorting process can be completed within one building on site at Poskitts. Washed carrots are received onto the new high-care stainless steel sorting line by a series of elevators and conveyors that feed an impressive seven-line optical carrot sorting system which integrates seven fully automated Visar Sortop optical sorters of which Tong is UK distributor. A sophisticated conveying system receives the sorted crop and transfers graded crop to boxes, bags, or onward for cooling, weighing and packing.
"As we continue to advance and invest in our vegetable handling processes, we are very focussed on not only improving the throughput and quality of our sorting processes, but we are also very committed to minimising the amount of crop that goes to waste," explains Guy Poskitt, Managing Director of the family farming business M H Poskitt Ltd. "The new Visar optical sorters use an advanced camera system which will allow us to fine-tune grade specifications, ensuring no good carrots go to waste. Where our previous grading systems required a considerable amount of manual sorting and inspection, the new Visar sorters will sort crop automatically, ensuring a more consistent and accurately sorted end product. This will ultimately increase the percentage of saleable crop, resulting in an even better end product for our customers, including leading supermarkets, whilst maximising our yield for other markets too."
"We are proud to wash, pack and distribute all of our products from one site, ensuring we can control all aspects of production. Tong Engineering really looked at our aims and objectives for the new sorting facility and have custom-designed an advanced system that meets our requirements, all within one of our existing buildings on site. We are very excited about the capabilities of our new sorting facility from Tong. I'm looking forward to seeing more of our carrot crop going to good use, and in doing so, minimising waste," added Mr Poskitt.
"The new Tong line at Poskitts is one of the largest and most advanced of its kind in the UK," said Charlie Rich, Export Sales Manager at Tong Engineering. "We have worked with M H Poskitt Ltd previously to supply other handling equipment for the farm, so our existing relationship meant that we were able to work very closely with Guy and his team on this large-scale project to design it to their exact requirements. The intelligent controls and advanced camera sorting systems integrated within the facility will give Poskitts even more capabilities to achieve an exceptionally high quality end product, and this really reflects their position as one of the UK's leading carrot and vegetable producers."
The new carrot installation is due to be in full production for Poskitts' busy carrot harvest and processing season this Summer.
For more information:
Tel: +44 1790 752771
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2016-06-30 Photo report: Warnez doubles in size
- 2016-06-29 BiM realises first project in fresh produce sector
- 2016-06-29 "A unique packaging makes all the difference"
- 2016-06-28 Plastic crate manufacturer picks Georgia for DC
- 2016-06-28 “Retailers should have more respect for seasons”
- 2016-06-27 Naïo Technologies launches robotic weeder for large vegetable farms
- 2016-06-24 New carrot handling facility at Poskitts set to be the UK's most advanced
- 2016-06-23 Fresh thinking in tomato and berry packing with Freshseal technology
- 2016-06-22 New cooling techniques underway
- 2016-06-21 Bag placer replaces personnel
- 2016-06-20 China: Sales increase thanks to safe food standards, lower labor costs and higher productivity
- 2016-06-17 Asparagus harvesting machine equipped with track system
- 2016-06-16 "Chile: "The flexibility of Dutch manufacturers is boosting Chile's industrialization"
- 2016-06-15 "Quality control and standardisation drive change in China"
- 2016-06-14 Green Mushroom Farm introduces new packaging line
- 2016-06-13 JDC Onion Grading Solutions presents optical onion sorting technology
- 2016-06-10 German paper industry welcomes end of Rewe plastic bags
- 2016-06-09 Launch of pouch bag for organic grape tomatoes
- 2016-06-08 PIM 'brain transplant' reduces giveaway
- 2016-06-07 India: New kiwi punnet for retail sales