- Offre d’emploi de Responsable Commercial Senior Sales Manager
- Territory Manager - Brazil/South America
- Sales manager
- Head of Sales
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Key Account / Sales manager Fruit - DACH
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
- Sales specialist Vertical Farming North America / Europe
- Key Account Manager | Fresh Produce | Hamburg
Top 5 -yesterday
- “More than 7,000 cherry containers are coming to Hong Kong port; slow custom clearance is a problem”
- Vertically integrated berry producer launches in Ontario
- Giant capsicums appearing in Australian supermarkets
- How did cherry trees in North Okanagan weather the recent freeze?
- "Sweet potato demand bound to rise"
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Pear category shift with branded pouch bag programs
“Branded pouch bag programs are making a positive impact on the pear category,” said Pepperl. “Stemilt was the first in the industry to introduce pouch bag pears with our Lil Snappers® line of 3lb. pouch bags. Lil Snappers perform well because its branding is aimed at parents and kids, the ideal audience for the smaller sized fruit found inside. The 3lb. size is proven to build volume for the category by not diminishing purchase size,” Pepperl said.
Bartlett was the leading pear variety for the category in October with 63% of sales. Bosc and d’Anjou rounded out the top three varieties with a combined 25% of sales. This will shift in the coming months as the Bartlett pear season wraps up and is replaced by d’Anjou, a popular winter pear variety that needs time in cold storage following harvest for a great consumer eating experience and is not readily available in October.
The pear category contributed fewer dollars to the total produce category in October 2015 (1%) than in 2014 (1.2%). Pepperl advises retailers to dedicate extra shelf space and promotion to pears in the coming months, and especially during the holidays, in order to reverse this trend.
“Pears are an ideal fruit to promote in the produce department during the holidays,” said Pepperl. “Retailers can merchandise bulk pears alongside cheese or wine. Promoting the use of pears in appetizers and even baked dishes encourages shoppers to place this gourmet fruit in their shopping baskets.”
With a range of sizes available on pears this year, retailers should run duel promotions on bulk and premium pouch bags. Lil Snappers® kid-sized pears are ideal for January promotions with kids heading back to school.
“The premium quality and size profile makes Lil Snappers a popular item for parents to pick up and use when packing kid lunches. Lil Snappers is the leading pouch bag for pears because of its great ability to promote intended use right on the package, leading to volume and sales growth for the entire pear category,”
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-20 Celebrity chef promotes Pazazz® apples for National Cancer Prevention month
- 2022-01-20 Strawberry supplies increasing again
- 2022-01-20 How did cherry trees in North Okanagan weather the recent freeze?
- 2022-01-20 What are the latest trends in raspberries?
- 2022-01-20 South African pears to benefit from empty European & UK markets
- 2022-01-20 "The high light levels are producing great quality and good availability which will last for a couple of weeks"
- 2022-01-20 “2021 was a good year for Polish apples”
- 2022-01-20 Peru was the main blueberry supplier to the US in 2021
- 2022-01-20 In November, grapes surpassed blueberries as most exported Peruvian fruit
- 2022-01-20 2021: Serbia and Croatia leave Ukraine behind in terms of apple exports to Singapore
- 2022-01-20 "Mini watermelon varieties have not been in high demand so far and we don't know if this will change during the campaign"
- 2022-01-20 “More than 7,000 cherry containers are coming to Hong Kong port; slow custom clearance is a problem”
- 2022-01-19 Apple markets building strength as supplies are dwindling rapidly
- 2022-01-19 Envy apples launches new Valentine’s Day movie promotion
- 2022-01-19 “The Turkish Lira/USD exchange rate helped us to be aggressive while exporting”
- 2022-01-19 La Grande Bellezza Italiana supplies grapes and apples at a pre-established price
- 2022-01-19 Brazilian watermelon exports ended 2021 at a good rate
- 2022-01-19 State of Paraná starts grape harvest
- 2022-01-19 Egypt plans to import more fruits from Kenya
- 2022-01-19 France: Ardèche producers worried about the future of the cherry sector