In 2002 some 41 hectares were designated for blueberries, now this number is 18,500 with no end in sight. Some estimate the acreage could expand to 66,667 hectares in the next 10 years. If true, that would make China the largest blueberry producer in the world, surpassing even the US. This doesn’t mean however, that China is able to deliver the same quantities: only 25% of the acreage offers ideal conditions.
This year China produced around 8,700 tons, all of which was sold domestically. 70% was retailed fresh, the remaining 30% went to processing.