Stanor, the most important cooperative of the Blue Whale Group celebrated its fiftieth anniversary on Friday 9 November. The cooperative was established in 1960 with 7 producers. To-day 24 producers are part of Stanor and annually 60,000 tons of fruit is produced. Managing director of the cooperative is Philippe Séguy and the present chairman is Christophe Belloc. Stanor (station de normalisation) is one of the most important cooperatives in France as far as storage and preservation of apples are concerned.
About one hundred people were present in Moissac to be part of the celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the cooperative, which is the model for growth and success. The minister of trade and industry Sylvia Pinel was also present.
In the evening there was a conducted tour of the grounds. Especially the new installations, which are proof of the advanced technology and innovation, were admired. These installations are part of a large investment plan of more than
6 million Euro. In order to keep a competitive and dynamic position in a constantly changing market it is necessary to adjust one's supply to the requirements of the demand and to increase the yield and storage capacity.
Seven automated channels have been added to the sorting machine, which assist in a better return, sorting precision and saving of energy. A sugar sensor has also been installed. This supplies a statistical indication, so that the condition of the stock is better known. New packing belts have been placed, which make the work of the employees easier and add to a bigger productivity, just as a polishing oven
will improve the presentation of the fruit.
A cold storage area of 1,000m2 has been added to the existing facilities. As a result the cold storage capacity has increased to 6,000 tons. In total this is now 40,000 tons. Also new rooms of extreme ULO have been built. In these rooms with a low oxygen content apples can be stored for 12 months in a natural way and remain in good condition.
As a result of the new investments the new aim of the directors of Stanor is to process 70,000 tons of fruit annually
Stanor in figures:
- 1960: cooperative established - 7 producers, 900 tons of fruit
- (apples, pears, peaches)
- 1967: merger with Sica Millefeuilles
- 1976: Oscar of the export Blue Whale
- 1987: 23 connected producers, 22,000 tons of fruit
- 1993: building of packing shed on the ground of St.Michel -
- 35,000 tons of apples and 2,000 tons of kiwi's, end of
- pear and peach production
- 2011: extension of sorting and packing - 58,000 tons of apples and
- 2,000 tons of kiwi's
- 2012: big investment plan
- 24 connected producers
- 1,000 HA of orchards
- production 2011: 60,000 tons of fruit
- 4 buildings with 160 cooling dells for the storage of 40,000 tons
- of apples
- 7 packing belts for apples (7t/h) and 2 for kiwi's (3t/h)
- 72 full time employees and 158 part time