- Quality Assurance System Manager
- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
- Chief agronomic / Head grower
- Chief Executive Officer
Top 5 -yesterday
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL MANGO MARKET
- Banana prices increase in Ecuador due to damage to Central American plantations
- “The issues in Spain will have a positive effect on the Egyptian citrus season”
- Australian cherry growers deny Chinese claims their fruit is inferior
- UK: Mixed demand and increasing prices for US sweet potatoes
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Greek watermelon production down
Watermelon growers in the Peloponnese region of Greece are blaming a bad economic situation for a much reduced harvest. Although they're optimistic about the quality of the crop, lack of economic resources and no government help have contributed to the current situation.
"Volume is down by about 50 percent from last year," said Dimi Paidakis of Zangostar Export Group in Greece. "I'm not exactly sure, but we'll have about 100,000 metric tons of watermelons this year." She blamed the significant drop in production on the bad economic situation.
"Most of the growers had no money to cultivate watermelons," she said. On top of that, the political climate offered no help for growers. "Growers had no union, no organization, they had no government help, so the political situation has not helped them," she added. But going forward, Dimi hopes to introduce some sort of cooperation in order to better market watermelons from the Peloponnese region in the southern part of Greece.
"Our intention is to gather growers from the region to contract them to grow what clients want," she said. "That way growers can grow what clients want. If they want seedless watermelon, for example, we can do that, whatever the client wants."
Currently, Zangostar ships four varieties of watermelons to the Netherlands, United Kingdom and several Scandinavian countries, with exports growing every year. She attributes the popularity of their fruit on the good growing conditions in the Peloponnese region.
"The region, because it's near the sea and has sandy soil, makes for great fruit," said Dimi. "The watermelons are great in taste, great in colour, great in everything."
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-01-15 Antioxidant-rich Queen Garnet plum now in season
- 2021-01-15 “This season we expect the growth of Egyptian strawberry exports to be about 20 to 30%”
- 2021-01-15 Southland blueberry season delayed but going well
- 2021-01-15 More government help may be necessary for Motueka growers
- 2021-01-15 "Halted soft fruit production clears up market uncertainties"
- 2021-01-15 Apple prices remain firm due to smaller crops, particularly in France and Poland
- 2021-01-15 Handsome South African stone fruit crop meets uncertain market conditions
- 2021-01-15 Israel: Strawberry season offers new tastes
- 2021-01-15 Australian cherry growers deny Chinese claims their fruit is inferior
- 2021-01-15 US blueberry growers target imports from Mexico and South America
- 2021-01-15 Chinese market price of Chilean cherries is falling, but may rise again before Chinese Spring Festival
- 2021-01-15 South Africa: Langkloof hailstorm damages apple and pear crop
- 2021-01-15 Dream season for South African apricots
- 2021-01-15 "Expansion of acreage and volume increase for mini watermelons"
- 2021-01-14 Tasmanian cherry harvest is going really well so far
- 2021-01-14 Iranian apple exports exceed $760 mln in 9 months
- 2021-01-14 Unseasonal rainfall to reduce grape production by 20%
- 2021-01-14 Chinese cherry prices notably lower this year
- 2021-01-14 Import volume of Australian nectarines on the Chinese market is somewhat limited
- 2021-01-14 Production season of Chinese Fuji apples comes to a successful end