- Quality Assurance System Manager
- Junior Quality Control Technician
- Regional Sales Manager - Root, Switzerland
- Horticulture Specialist - Guelph (Ontario) Canada
- Technical Director - Brussels, Belgium
- Senior Maintenance Engineer - USA East coast greenhouse facility, location negotiable
- Greenhouse Assistant - Abbotsford (BC) Canada
- Technical Service Manager - remote, US based
- Chief agronomic / Head grower
- Chief Executive Officer
Top 5 -yesterday
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL MANGO MARKET
- Banana prices increase in Ecuador due to damage to Central American plantations
- Australian cherry growers deny Chinese claims their fruit is inferior
- “The issues in Spain will have a positive effect on the Egyptian citrus season”
- UK: Mixed demand and increasing prices for US sweet potatoes
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US: Banana sugars healthier than sports drinks
"We wanted to see which was more beneficial when consumed during intense cycling - bananas or a carbohydrate sports drink," said Dr. David C. Nieman, director of the human performance lab and a member of the College of Health Sciences faculty at Appalachian.
"We found that not only was performance the same whether bananas or sports drinks were consumed, there were several advantages to consuming bananas," he said.
The bananas provided the cyclists with much more than the required energy that the sports drinks imparted. first there is the increased nutritional benefits, such as fibre, potassium and Vitamin B6, plus antioxidants. In addition to this though, the energy that bananas released comes from sugars that are far healthier than those found in sports drinks.
For the study, trained cyclists consumed either a cup of carbohydrate drink or half a banana every 15 minutes during a 75-kilometer simulated road race lasting 2.5 to 3 hours. Blood samples taken from the cyclists before and after the exercise were analyzed at the NCRC Metabolomics Laboratory for more than 100 metabolites - molecules associated with metabolism.
"Bananas come prepackaged with fiber, nutrients and antioxidants," said Nieman, adding the research translates to any exercise.
"The mode of exercise is not the issue. I think there are a lot of athletes who don't like the thought of drinking carbohydrate sports drinks, which are essentially flavored sugar water," he said. "This type of research shows that you can have healthier carbohydrate sources before and after exercise that will support athletic performance just as well as a sports drink," Nieman said.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-01-13 Chinese banana prices stable with slight increases
- 2021-01-12 Paraguay's banana exports increase by 33%
- 2021-01-12 Bolivia seeks to boost banana exports to the European market
- 2021-01-12 Despite the pandemic, Panamanian banana exports grew in 2020
- 2021-01-12 Banana exports Cameroon down by 8% in 2020
- 2021-01-12 Australia: Panama disease threatens Coffs Harbour banana plantations
- 2021-01-12 Bananas from Belize at £0.86: 30% rise from last week
- 2021-01-11 'INI Farms has more than 5000 farmers, located in eight Indian states'
- 2021-01-08 Honduras' banana sector needs $40 million to ensure the next banana harvest
- 2021-01-08 Tamil Nadu banana growers welcome new Farm laws
- 2021-01-05 Russia rejects 23 tons of Ecuadorian bananas
- 2021-01-05 Ecuadorian bananas start 2021 with a new price scheme
- 2021-01-05 India’s Grand Nain banana struck by dangerous mutant fungus strain
- 2021-01-05 Philippines - South Korea banana export deal still out
- 2020-12-24 Colombia's banana sector aspires to achieve exports of $1 billion in 2021
- 2020-12-22 The first organic banana cluster is established in Piura
- 2020-12-22 Current average week price for Gala apples at £0.94 /kg
- 2020-12-21 Looking back on the Chinese market for imported bananas
- 2020-12-21 "Chinese new middle-class is ‘a promising market’ for goods from the Philippines"
- 2020-12-21 Sustainable recyclable banana bag gains popularity in Latin America