- Commercial Manager/Trader for Flowers - Holland
- Head Grower - Berries, New Zealand
- Grower - Morehead (KY) USA
- Africa Fruit Export Sales Manager (Africa Division)
- Fruit Export Junior Sales Manager (Europe Division)
- Horticulture Production Manager
- Farm Manager (Cherries) - BC, Canada
- Lead of Irrigation - Warren, MI USA
- Grower / Head Grower Canada
- Sales agents / representatives
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Unifrutti has thousands of counterfeit lemon cartons destroyed in China
- Japanese company develops CBD oil from orange peels
- “There is much potential for optimizing blueberry and grape crops with nanobubble technology”
- OVERVIEW GLOBAL STONE FRUIT MARKET
- “You should not blindly rely on Russian supermarkets for quality inspections”
Top 5 -last month
US: Banana sugars healthier than sports drinks
"We wanted to see which was more beneficial when consumed during intense cycling - bananas or a carbohydrate sports drink," said Dr. David C. Nieman, director of the human performance lab and a member of the College of Health Sciences faculty at Appalachian.
"We found that not only was performance the same whether bananas or sports drinks were consumed, there were several advantages to consuming bananas," he said.
The bananas provided the cyclists with much more than the required energy that the sports drinks imparted. first there is the increased nutritional benefits, such as fibre, potassium and Vitamin B6, plus antioxidants. In addition to this though, the energy that bananas released comes from sugars that are far healthier than those found in sports drinks.
For the study, trained cyclists consumed either a cup of carbohydrate drink or half a banana every 15 minutes during a 75-kilometer simulated road race lasting 2.5 to 3 hours. Blood samples taken from the cyclists before and after the exercise were analyzed at the NCRC Metabolomics Laboratory for more than 100 metabolites - molecules associated with metabolism.
"Bananas come prepackaged with fiber, nutrients and antioxidants," said Nieman, adding the research translates to any exercise.
"The mode of exercise is not the issue. I think there are a lot of athletes who don't like the thought of drinking carbohydrate sports drinks, which are essentially flavored sugar water," he said. "This type of research shows that you can have healthier carbohydrate sources before and after exercise that will support athletic performance just as well as a sports drink," Nieman said.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-06-02 Philippines still world’s second largest pineapple exporter
- 2020-06-02 China market entry benefits yellow bananas from Cambodia
- 2020-06-02 'Towards a united voice for banana workers in Africa'
- 2020-06-01 US banana prices Jan.-Feb.'20 steady y-o-y
- 2020-06-01 New Zealand scientists and growers try to ‘build a better banana’
- 2020-05-29 Demand for bananas remains uncertain
- 2020-05-29 Chinese banana supply exceeds market demand
- 2020-05-29 Biodegradable PATI bags to protect bunches of bananas on trial in South Africa
- 2020-05-28 ICA monitors musaceae plantations in Caldas against the moko and the Fusarium
- 2020-05-28 'A breakthrough in the search for banana varieties, resistant to the lethal bacterial banana wilt disease'
- 2020-05-27 New partnership to examine use of boron in fighting Black Sigatoka
- 2020-05-26 Canadian banana supplier wins Excellence in Producer Partnerships prize
- 2020-05-26 New report shows that banana sector is ready for more sustainabililty
- 2020-05-26 'Philippines set to become world's second-largest banana exporter in next nine years'
- 2020-05-26 'Banana-COVID' – Fusarium Wilt TR4 in India
- 2020-05-26 “Vietnamese banana price is at the bottom at the moment”
- 2020-05-26 Australia: Carnarvon banana growers and mid-west farmers seek storm compensation
- 2020-05-26 India: Winds damage banana crop in Gobichettipalayam
- 2020-05-26 Ecuadorian banana exports increased between January and March 2020
- 2020-05-25 The curfew in Peru impacts organic banana exports