- Junior buyer/ seller - Alicante, Spain
- Office and Sales Administrator - Alkmaar - Schagen, Nederland
- Greenhouse Plug Propagator - Dunnville (Ontario) Canada
- Head Grower new Tomato farm, Iowa USA
- Sales Manager
- Senior Grower Tomato, NSW Australia
- Grower Managers (5ha or 10ha) - Australia
- Rose Grower
- Farm Manager Tomato Greenhouse Nursery, Tunisia
- Sales Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Package with avocados in different ripening stages launched
- Unrest in Chile affects cherry export to China
- Blueberries see stronger availability for 2019-2020 imports
- Hars & Hagebauer is looking for agents/producers in South Africa
- "It is everyone’s responsibility to accurately show how many hectares have been planted and where to forecast the future volumes"
Top 5 -last month
US: Banana sugars healthier than sports drinks
"We wanted to see which was more beneficial when consumed during intense cycling - bananas or a carbohydrate sports drink," said Dr. David C. Nieman, director of the human performance lab and a member of the College of Health Sciences faculty at Appalachian.
"We found that not only was performance the same whether bananas or sports drinks were consumed, there were several advantages to consuming bananas," he said.
The bananas provided the cyclists with much more than the required energy that the sports drinks imparted. first there is the increased nutritional benefits, such as fibre, potassium and Vitamin B6, plus antioxidants. In addition to this though, the energy that bananas released comes from sugars that are far healthier than those found in sports drinks.
For the study, trained cyclists consumed either a cup of carbohydrate drink or half a banana every 15 minutes during a 75-kilometer simulated road race lasting 2.5 to 3 hours. Blood samples taken from the cyclists before and after the exercise were analyzed at the NCRC Metabolomics Laboratory for more than 100 metabolites - molecules associated with metabolism.
"Bananas come prepackaged with fiber, nutrients and antioxidants," said Nieman, adding the research translates to any exercise.
"The mode of exercise is not the issue. I think there are a lot of athletes who don't like the thought of drinking carbohydrate sports drinks, which are essentially flavored sugar water," he said. "This type of research shows that you can have healthier carbohydrate sources before and after exercise that will support athletic performance just as well as a sports drink," Nieman said.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-11-15 Italian police discover over a ton of cocaine in banana containers
- 2019-11-14 International banana disease conference in Mozambique
- 2019-11-14 Water treatment system to remove TR4 spores introduced to Latin America
- 2019-11-14 Vietnamese suppliers face challenges from Cambodian bananas
- 2019-11-14 Market competition intensifies as banana supply in Myanmar starts early
- 2019-11-14 Ecuador banana industry says Aldi prices are still far from fair
- 2019-11-13 Italy: Banana prices always low
- 2019-11-13 "The price of bananas exported from the Philippines to China is relatively low"
- 2019-11-13 Ecuador's banana sector disagrees with the new price for a box of bananas
- 2019-11-13 New South Wales beats Queensland at its own game with local focus
- 2019-11-12 Sapindus saponaria ethanol extract works against banana anthracnose
- 2019-11-12 Investment in sediment control technology paying off for a North Queensland banana grower
- 2019-11-12 Fairtrade on Ecuadorian and Colombian progress in increasing banana wages
- 2019-11-11 Chinese market is price sensitive, but the price of bananas remains stable
- 2019-11-11 Ecuador looks at setting price of the banana box for 2020 at US $6.40
- 2019-11-08 Malaysian banana planter/trader sees export opportunities
- 2019-11-08 A new baler in Piura increases Peruvian banana exports to Europe
- 2019-11-08 Cameroon banana exports up 661 tons year-on-year
- 2019-11-08 Burmese banana imports to China arriving soon
- 2019-11-07 Ecuadorian banana prices for 2020, under pressure from spot prices