- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US: Congressman pushing frozen berries for fresh produce program
The proposal by Republican U.S. Rep. Bruce Poliquin, who has used Maine blueberries as an example of a frozen food that could help the program, is part of the federal Farm Bill that's wending its way through approvals. Poliquin's proposal also would open up the program to dried and pureed foods.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program provides money to buy fresh fruits and vegetables for school snacks. The program was initiated by retired Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin of Iowa in 2002, and he has criticized Poliquin's plan to alter it, including saying, "once you start whittling away at it, it's no longer a Fresh Fruit and Vegetable program."
Poliquin said he considers the change "a huge win for our school children" as well as blueberry harvesters in his state, who have contended with low prices, an oversupply of product and volatile harvests in recent years.
"As a parent, I know how important it is for our kids to be able to eat healthy all year round with nutritious products from across the country," Poliquin said.
Harkin, who retired in 2015 after serving as a senator from Iowa for 30 years and a congressman for 10 before that, said a better solution is to just send fresh blueberries to schoolchildren. He said he's concerned about added sugars in frozen fruit products.
"People have wanted to include peanuts and trail mix and God knows what else. Now this guy from Maine wants frozen or canned blueberries," Harkin said.
Poliquin's proposal has the support of the Wild Blueberry Commission of Maine, which promotes the industry. Maine is the largest blueberry-producing state in the U.S.
The Maine blueberry industry has been looking for new customers to help with flagging prices in recent years. The vast majority of Maine's crop is frozen, and it would be an ideal product for an expanded Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program, said Nancy McBrady, executive director of the Wild Blueberry Commission of Maine.
McBrady said Maine wild blueberries have a very short "fresh period," so shipping them fresh to schools probably isn't realistic.
"It shouldn't be the second choice, it should be up there on equal footing," she said of frozen fruit.
The Republican-written Farm Bill passed the House Agriculture Committee in April. The current bill that is in place is set to lapse next year. A spokesman for Poliquin said he has not received word on when the new bill will reach its next steps.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 Fresh take on sauerkraut
- 2018-12-13 New single serve salad line launched in Canada
- 2018-12-11 Spain: Murcia exporting 26% more juice
- 2018-12-05 Italy: pomegranate juices are increasingly successful
- 2018-12-04 Italy: the supply chain behind the most famous juice brands
- 2018-11-28 New range of artisan V products
- 2018-11-26 Fashion watermelons to be marketed all year round thanks to 100% natural juice
- 2018-11-23 China: Is concentrated apple juice export "frozen"?
- 2018-11-14 First highly specialized pear-processing plant built
- 2018-11-09 Aviko to close German factory
- 2018-11-08 Black garlic puree has no E-numbers
- 2018-11-06 Ready-made salad producer offers lighter Thanksgiving dinner option
- 2018-11-06 Celery juice - the new super hero among juices?
- 2018-10-25 Portugal: “Quality and Safety of Fresh-cut Produce” course brings experts together
- 2018-10-23 Green Giant™ Fresh debuts new line of vegetable meal bowls
- 2018-10-23 Home-made gazpacho, hummus and guacamole at thematic and interactive stand
- 2018-10-22 Spain: The "Cook it yourself" concept arrives in Anecoop
- 2018-10-18 Russia: Price of apples for processing continues to fall
- 2018-10-16 Big hit in Japan: Black garlic molasses
- 2018-10-12 Spain: Experts from eight countries analyze fruit preserves market