- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
New Zealand Feijoa growers hit by devastating disease
In Northland, Anthracnose disease is rife in all but two of Kerikeri's 20 orchards. Orchard owner Stuart Duff has just over 1800 trees and 600 of them have the fungus. The feijoa season has just started but Duff says he's already thrown away just over three tonnes of the fruit.
The fungus is a mutation that starts off as a small black spot which spreads all over the fruit within three days. While it's not dangerous to eat, it means the fruit isn't saleable. The disease isn't curable.
According to an article on tvnz.co.nz, none of the growers in Kerikeri will break even, some are ripping out their entire crops and others are considering closing down.
The growers have approached the Ministry for Primary Industries but Duff says they haven't been able to help. "I'm feeling totally deflated considering not only will it devastate the feijoas but go onto devastate far bigger industries in the horticulture world in this country," he says.
Scientists from Plant and Food Research, a government funded research institute have visited the area and have told growers they are working to apply for funding to get some sort of program up and running to help them.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 China: Price "explosion" for cherries
- 2018-12-13 "We are very much focused on the online trade in convenience products"
- 2018-12-12 Rwanda: NAEB starts fruit project to shore up exports
- 2018-12-12 Italy: Cocktail Plum, a very successful tomato
- 2018-12-12 Congo: Kiwi for 14 euros/kg
- 2018-12-11 Poland: Official study on changes taking place in apple growing sector
- 2018-12-11 High demand for European apples in China
- 2018-12-11 South African fruit industry expansion shows faith in the future
- 2018-12-07 Italy: Successful partnership between Apofruit Italia and Società Frutticoltori Trento
- 2018-12-06 "Limited impact of hail on Chilean berry season"
- 2018-12-04 “We invested in new varieties and IQ optical sourcing lines”
- 2018-12-03 Chile: “We expect good volumes for Chilean cherry export”
- 2018-12-03 South Africa: Electricity cuts a great irritation to fruit industry
- 2018-11-29 What kinds of fruit do Taiwanese customers like to eat?
- 2018-11-29 Argentina: Blueberry export volumes are behind compared to last year
- 2018-11-28 Mexico: “We hope to start our strawberry export to Europe this season”
- 2018-11-27 Tunisian fruit exports to Libya soaring
- 2018-11-27 Ukrainian apples shipped to five Middle Eastern markets for the first time
- 2018-11-27 Sharp drop of Moldovan apple, plum and table grape exports to Russia
- 2018-11-23 Del Monte presents on-the-go fruit snacking ranges