- Sales Manager and Quality Assurance Supervisor
- Grower Support Manager (Blueberries) - Harare, Zimbabwe
- Finance Director - Ukraine
- Breeder (MSc) - Hann. Münden, Germany
- Buitendienst Medewerker - België
- Assistant Grower Manager Tomato & Capsicums - Malaysia Highlands
- Assistant Grower Manager Lettuce & Herbs - Malaysia Highlands
- Team Leader - Quarantine Greenhouse - Netherlands/German border area
- Trainee Production Management - starting location Ethiopia
- Сhief technologist, Tula region - Russia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
Illegal avocado plantation in Mexican Monarch Butterfly reserve
Monarch butterflies migrate from the US and Canada to pine and fir forests that thrive at about the same altitude as prime avocado-growing land. Previously, deforestation linked to avocado planting had been seen in areas to the west and south of the reserve.
In April 2017, police found that a 37-hectares swath of pine trees had been cut down in the nature reserve of Valle de Bravo (to the east of the butterfly reserve) to plant avocado trees. Without pine trees to provide thermal cover, the butterflies can freeze to death.
Previously, experts estimated that Michoacan -the state where part of the reserve is located, and the biggest avocado-producing state in Mexico- loses about 6,000 to 8,000 hectares of forest land annually to avocado plantations.
Japantimes.co reported that while avocado prices have dropped from last year’s higher levels, they are much more lucrative than almost any other legal crop Mexican farmers can grow. That is why many landholders appear to be turning to avocados, legally or illegally.
Publication date :
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2018-12-14 US importer announces fifth year of expanded Spanish fruit imports
- 2018-12-14 Passionfruit - a challenging prospect for Florida growers
- 2018-12-14 Moving towards an all year round offer of avocados
- 2018-12-14 New role may alleviate kiwifruit labour shortage
- 2018-12-14 Investigation into ‘illegal’ garlic imports into South Africa
- 2018-12-14 "We extract our pomegranate arils manually 365 days a year"
- 2018-12-14 "Kaki prices are good, but don't reflect the 50% drop in the production"
- 2018-12-13 High demand for cut goods and exotics during the Advent season
- 2018-12-13 Bangladesh ambassador: 'We should export more products to China'
- 2018-12-13 China: Taizhou winter bamboo enters market early
- 2018-12-13 Turkey: New initiative to export avocados
- 2018-12-13 Australian ginger industry gains a fresh perspective
- 2018-12-13 Lychees: high quality, low quantity
- 2018-12-12 China: “White yams in short supply for many years”
- 2018-12-12 Pressure on the price of high caliber avocados
- 2018-12-11 Special time of year for jicama production
- 2018-12-11 Hamburg importer starts pomegranate season with stronger brand presence
- 2018-12-11 Honduras will export rambutan to Bolivia and Spain
- 2018-12-11 Peru: ProHass will promote avocados in China next year
- 2018-12-10 California's challenging persimmon season draws to a close